• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination because of a resume posting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigheadhanks

I live in the state of Florida. My employer today contacted me about my resume being posted on monster.com. My boss told me that they don't like when their employees have their resumes posted on job sites such as monster, and that people have been fired in the past for the same activity. It doesn't sit well with me that they could terminate me for a posting information about myself on a website that neither slanders or liabels them in any way. Isn't what they are doing a form of harrassment or intimidation? Or at least a violation of my first amendment protections, or does that only protect me from government censorship?

pattytx

No, and no. They can fire you for any reason that is not illegal, and this isn't one of them. It is not a good idea to post this way for jobs when you already have one, or actually in my experience, even if you don't. I did this once when I was unemployed and I got several emails from people/companies who were "interested" in me and the jobs had nothing to do with my line of work.

You need to be more discreet when looking for a job when you already have one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To add to what Patty said, your first amendment rights only protect you from government restrictions. Fair or not, it is legal for an employer to fire you because you have your resume out on monster.com.

BTW, this is one area where I do not agree with Patty. I got the best job I ever had by having my resume on monster.com. But at that time, I had my resume posted with the knowledge and permission of my immediate supervisor and the owner of the company, since they knew that the company was going to be sold soon and I was unlikely to be retained by the new ownership.

If you must post your resume while already employed, do it anonymously.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are ways to do it so that your name and contact information do not show on the screen to the casual searcher. Someone who is serious about contacting you will have a way to do it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, what I am saying is this:

Suppose you post your resume with those restrictions. I pull up your resume and decide I want to interview you for a position I have open. All the sites work slightly differently but on the ones I've used, I contact the site administrator with a code that identifies you to them. The code is all I can see. The administrator then contacts you and tells you that I have a position open for which I would like you to interview. If you say you're interested, then and only then the administrator either (a) gives me your identifying information or (b) gives you the means to contact me. Whether it's (a) or (b) depends on the site rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">