• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination and blacklisting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xenakat98

What is the name of your state? California

My Partner is a Certified Pet Care Technician and was terminated due to an accident at work with a client's dog. The incident could not be prevented, one dog attacked another while a third dog knocked my partner to the floor. She has had an ongoing strained relationship with the manager, who has been unkind to her since the day she was hired. Even went so far as to tell her at her first review that they only hired her to fill a spot and was surprised that she was doing as well as she was. She passed her certification with a 98% rating.

She has applied to every other dog care facility in the area. One hired her, and then two days later said they over hired, and said they would call back later. They are now publically posting to hire again and have not called. I suspect that the former employer is blacklisting her for this industry. She has interviewed many times, and still unemployed.

What can we do? How can we prove it? She is positively devastated to think that there might be a possibility that someone is doing this.

fairisfair

there is nothing much that she can do. And personally, I am not aware of a pet services blacklisting organization. It is much more likely that your friend is either not presenting herself well at interviews or there are other issues. Not being on the job with her, I would not be so quick to jump to her defense.

If she believes that she is receiving bad job references from her previous employer, she could hire a 3rd party service to conduct an employment verification. The problem here is that the employer can say why she was fired, in fact they can legally give out any details regarding her employment and their opinion of her work, so long as what they say they believe to be truthful, so even if she finds that she is getting crappy things said about her, there may well be no legal recourse.

Maybe it is time for your friend to widen her geographic job search area, or find another industry in which to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">