• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination Choices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zdomain

Today my boss gave me a choice. I could either go from a full time worker to a part time worker, or become a contractor that he can call on for special projects. He has avoided talking about layoff, unemployment, etc., so I think he is trying to steer me away from unemployment benefits.

He has no project for me to work on right now, so the contracting wouldn't pay off with him right now. He hasn't said how many hours part time would be, but without projects to work on, it wouldn't be many.

1. What do I need from him for unemployment benefits?
2. What are the pros and cons from a legal standpoint of the two options?

Thanks.
I live and am employed in Colorado.

M

Mexicandream

unemployment

To be considered for unemployment you must be laid off based on no fault of your own. You cannot quit. At your place of employment there should be a posted federal guidline poster, stating your rights as an employee. It is illegal not to have the poster up in a viewable area. I suggest you consult the poster as a starting place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">