• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

volsung

Until recently I was employed by the apartment complex that I also live in, and recieved a discounted rent as a benefit. On the 31st of July I paid my rent for August during my lunch hour, the check was accepted and that was that. At 5pm when I was clocking out for the evening my supervisor asked for my keys and let me go.( This is an entirely different subject...) Anyway, she is now telling me that I owe for the balance on the rent since the discount no longer applies to me. She has told me that if I do not pay this balance I will be evicted for failure to pay rent. Can she do this??? I did pay rent on time, while I was an employee of the company, and had no idea I would be let go that evening. I have never signed anything saying I would forfeit my residency if terminated, and have never signed any policy which states I would be responsible for any rental balances upon termination. I simply thought that the rent would go back to normal the following month. Any ideas??

L

loku

"I simply thought that the rent would go back to normal the following month"

Unfortunately, the rent did go back to normal the following month. The problem for you is that the following month is the month of August. You were terminated on July 31; therefore, the August discount for work would not apply, and you would owe the full rent for August.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">