• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination due to attendance (TARDY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M&M1960

I live in (Arizona ) Termination due to attendance (tardy) Hi, I worked for a company that has and attendance policy that works on the point system when you accrue 24 points you are fired, you are given sick time at 4-hrs per month = 6 days a year that have to be used by last day of year or you loose them, there is no carry over & no buy out on days, so you get 2-points every time you call in sick 6-days = 12 points and when you are tardy by 1 minute 1 point or 2 points for more then 1-hour late, The problem is the company never gave out a employee hand book in the 15 years that I have been there,they did give us a attendance paper that has been change at least 3 times in the past 7 months & now I have a beef with them because I think it is not fare that they terminated me at 24 points, mean while at this very moment there are people there with 32-plus points! This is discrimination is it not

Beth3

No, it's not discrimination unless the reason you were terminated and others weren't was because of your race, age, gender, religion, or some other protected characteristic. Merely inconsistently applying their attendance policy or applying it in a way you don't agree with does not constitute discrimination however.

atomic83

Yes

it is I was in the same boat but I was the one that was more tardy and out then other people whom were getting fired, BUT I also had the highest production rate of everone in my team, one of the people sued because of this and won (or they settle)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Winning and settling are not the same thing at all; nor is there any guarantee that the circumstances in your co-worker's situation is identical to that of the poster.

Beth is correct; it is not ILLEGAL discrimination unless it is based on race, religion, national origin or another characteristic protected by state or Federal law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">