• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination due to disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

information

What is the name of your state? FL

In September of 2007 I left work, without telling anyone, with the intent to go home and commit suicide. Luckily, my fiancé found me in my garage with my car running and saved me. I was taken to the hospital where the physician in the ER immediately Baker Acted me for 72 hours. During this time I had no access to any outside communication, but my fiancé called my boss and told tell him what had happened and where I was. I was diagnosed with severe depression and after 72 hours I was released. On my ride home from the hospital I attempted to call my boss using my company provided cell phone but the service had been cancelled. I called from my fiancé’s cell phone and was told by my boss I needed to speak with HR. I spoke with the HR person and was told that the decision to terminate my employment had been made because I abandoned my job when I walked out.

Fortunately I have since found employment in my field of work, but I have been without benefits and have been unable to afford the medication to treat my depression and doctor visits. I have talked to the EEOC and have set up an interview with them next week, but I wanted information/advice on how to proceed with this. Thank you in advance.

Beth3

First, let me say that I'm very glad your fiance found you and that you've survived the depression. That is an awful thing to go through.

Second, job abandonment is a valid reason to terminate someone's employment however your situation is rather unique. As your fiance notified your employer timely of your situation, it strikes me that allowing this one instance of job abandonment, particularly as it was followed by an in-patient stay and on-going treatment for severe depression might well be a reasonable accommodation under these particular circumstances. What you really need is an expert legal opinion as there are some pretty fine "legal hairs" to split here. I suggest you contact an employment law attorney for an expert analysis of your situation and counsel on pursuing your EEOC claim.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">