• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination due to website comment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCGLAM

What is the name of your state? New York
Im asking on behalf of a friend that is having a work-related issue. She has a website on a local gathering site (myspace.com) and she wrote on her blog that she thought one of her co-workers (not a superior) should just 'kill himself' for making harassment comments to her other fellow co-worker. A supervisor at work got wind of the comment and pulled up the site at work, showing her manager. The supervisor who had pulled it up told her that she would be written up or fired for her remarks. Is this illegal? I told her I didn't think it was illegal only because she never signed a contract to work with them, her employment is 'at-will', BUT she was basing her opinion off of something that was dealing with workplace harassment? Any takers?

NCGLAM

Can a boss threaten to fire you?

And can a boss threaten to fire you continuously? Or is that considered harassment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, she can be fired for that reason and no, it is not illegal harassment for the boss to threaten to fire you continually. It's probably not good management technique, but nothing in the law limits the number of times a boss can threaten to fire you.

ENASNI

um wrong

cbg said:
Yes, she can be fired for that reason and no, it is not illegal harassment for the boss to threaten to fire you continually. It's probably not good management technique, but nothing in the law limits the number of times a boss can threaten to fire you.

cbg, I hate to tell you honey, you are finally wrong. They can only threaten to fire you until they actually do.

Hee hee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, wise guy, you want to show me the law that says they can't threaten to fire them AFTER they've already been fired?

Granted it would be pointless, but I've never seen a law that makes it illegal.

:D

ENASNI

cbg said:
Okay, wise guy, you want to show me the law that says they can't threaten to fire them AFTER they've already been fired?

Granted it would be pointless, but I've never seen a law that makes it illegal.

:D
Otay, you got me. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">