• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination during pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtoepfer7

New York State

I am being terminated by my company after needing to be on STD for about 6 months. I have had a complicated pregnancy which has led to various hospital stays and a lot of bedrest. Despite this fact, I have been working from home every day, working on projects, attending conference calls, checking emails, etc. As far as I know, them terminating me is legal. Everyone I mention this too jumps down my throat that this isn't fair, it's not legal, i need to sue, etc.

Just some history, I've been with the company for almost 9 years. I have an excellent work history and have always received positive reviews along with raises and bonus's throughout my tenure there.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mtoepfer7

They said that after 180 days on STD, an employee is "generally" considered terminated. The only reason they are giving me is that my time is up and I've been out too long.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although you cannot be termed BECAUSE you are pregnant, being pregnant does not make you immune from any termination. In this case you have been off work for twice as long as the law requires. If you are still unable to return to work, then in the absence of a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, your employer may legally let you go and hire someone who is able to come in and do the work.

Those who are telling you otherwise are wrong.

Beth3

New York State

I am being terminated by my company after needing to be on STD for about 6 months. I have had a complicated pregnancy which has led to various hospital stays and a lot of bedrest. Despite this fact, I have been working from home every day, working on projects, attending conference calls, checking emails, etc. As far as I know, them terminating me is legal. Everyone I mention this too jumps down my throat that this isn't fair, it's not legal, i need to sue, etc.

Just some history, I've been with the company for almost 9 years. I have an excellent work history and have always received positive reviews along with raises and bonus's throughout my tenure there.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
My best guess is that you exhausted the maximum amount of leave time your employer offers which, at six months, is double the amount of leave they are required to extend to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">