• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination for furthering education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NatassiaC

Alabama - I took a part time position at a local store part time 5 years ago, while attending college. During my 3rd year with the company I graduated. Since then I have still worked the same 4 days a week. Recently I started taking an online course from home, that enables me to complete assignments during my off time. Another employee was interested in the same course and I gave her the information. Last week my supervisor informed me that I was terminated because I could not work there, go to school or work another job. It was against company policy. Nowhere in the employee handbook states any of this. I went to file for my unemployment and have been told that my employer was denying my benefits. I don't really have the money for an attorney but if this isn't legal, I plan on finding an attorney. Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it's legal. I don't know why they care, but there's nothing to prevent them from this.

BTW, just a point of clarification. Your employer is not denying benefits. They do not have that power. They may be protesting benefits, which is their right, but a right in which you have the right of appeal. But your employer is not the one who gets to make the decision as to whether you get benefits or not. That decision is made by the unemployment commission of your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">