• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination...lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xmtnhiker

States involved: Utah,Idaho,Colorado
I worked for a retail company for 3 years in the state of Utah. I was promoted to store manager and transferred to Idaho. Not knowing anyone, I became friends with a female employee (I know, first mistake). The 2 of us talked about taking our friendship to the next level. One night she came over and we had dinner. On her way out, we kissed. Later that night we talked and she stated she no longer felt comfortable pursuing a relationship. I said that was fine. The next day she did not come to work. Two days later, she filed a complaint stating I used my position to coerce a relationship and completely misrepresented the situation to our employer. The company 'investigated', my story and hers, and then terminated me for sexual harassment. I filed for umemployment, was granted, then began working again. My former employer appealed the umemployment decision and lost.
My question: Do I have a case against my former employer being that they didn't fully investigate, there was no 'evidence' of harassment, and the DOL/Employment Services found that I was terminated 'without just cause'??

ALawyer

Based upon what you are admitting there seems to have been probable cause for the employer to fire you, and absent any contract or prejudice or discrimination the employer has the right to do that.

That the unemployment division found otherwise for purposes of unemployment insurance is interesting but as most states use a VERY low standard for that, it is by no means sufficient. I doubt that most lawyers would consider taking this on a contingency basis, but just maybe one will take it on as a partial contingency matter and hope for a settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">