• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination for not completing training.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

ub3rn00b

What is the name of your state? TX

My boss calls me at home today around 1:45 pm and says I must come into work or I will be terminated. I explained to them that I have a court date today for a traffic ticket, and I would need to take it later. They explain that today is the last day I will be able to take it, and I will be terminated if I cannot complete the training. They have given me no prior notice about this, and today is normally my day off anyways. Is it legal for them to terminate me even though I was scheduled for court?

Beth3

"Is it legal for them to terminate me even though I was scheduled for court?" Yes, as long as the issue isn't that you were summoned to report for Jury Duty. Additionally, if this is just a traffic citation, then you have the option of paying the fine and not going to court at all. It's your choice - your job or contesting the ticket.

HomeGuru

ub3rn00b said:

My boss calls me at home today around 1:45 pm and says I must come into work or I will be terminated. I explained to them that I have a court date today for a traffic ticket, and I would need to take it later. They explain that today is the last day I will be able to take it, and I will be terminated if I cannot complete the training. They have given me no prior notice about this, and today is normally my day off anyways. Is it legal for them to terminate me even though I was scheduled for court?
**A: i believe that there is more to this story.

HomeGuru

ub3rn00b said:

Here is the complete story. I have been in a training program for work with one more session to go. The last class happens to be scheduled on my day off and I have to go to court anyway. So I told my boss I could not make it and I went home. This was on Monday.

U

ub3rn00b

Re: Re: Termination for not completing training.

HomeGuru said:
ub3rn00b said:

Here is the complete story. I have been in a training program for work with one more session to go. The last class happens to be scheduled on my day off and I have to go to court anyway. So I told my boss I could not make it and I went home. This was on Monday.
Negative, this is a one time training program which I was NOT notified about. Please do not assume I am a lazy worker who just wants to the day off. I have been with the company for a year and a half now (with a near flawless attendance record), and no, this is not an ongoing training course. I was not scheduled to work the entire day, and they called me less than 2 hours before training started. I told them I would go to the courthouse and see about rescheduling it, which I did. That was not my point. I work roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes (during rush hour) from my job. The courthouse is about 30 minutes out of the way (in downtown), not including the time it takes to go inside, through the metal detectors, and wait in line to speak to a clerk. Asking me to be there at 3:15pm is the same as telling me that I have to drive faster than is safely possible just to meet the deadline. The last thing I want is another traffic ticket. I did inform them that this was the circumstances, and they still stuck to saying that I had to be there on time, or I could face termination. I called the courthouse to see what could be done over the phone, but I was informed that I must appear in person. Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't have assumed my company is responsible enough to inform me of events ahead of time.

It's over with now, I just spent 9 monotonous hours in a training class about stuff which does not even relate to my position. It's not my decision when they want to waste company time though, so more power to 'em.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">