• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination ok?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andrewcrc

Washington

My wife was just terminated from her job this week. She filed with L&I for disability about 2 weeks ago due to an on the job injury. Currently she is unable to work (doctors orders). This week she go an email stating "It is with great regret that I must inform you that we have decided to terminate your employment with *****. It is not possible for the office to run effectively without a bookkeeper." This is a very small business she worked for (under 20 people).

The job and her bosses suck so it's not all bad :). I think this is acceptable but I want to make sure.

Thanks for all your help!

pattytx

On the face of it, since FMLA does not apply, her termination would appear to be legal. She can file for unemployment when she is medically able to work again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">