• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination for undocumented problems concerning lack of transportation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JDJensen

state: oregon....On November 29, 01 without prior notice or any type of warning or comment that transportation was a problem, I was terminated from my position as a bus driver for college students due to the fact that my own vehicle was inoperable for over 5 months. Yet, I never missed a day of work and on several occasions came in on my own time to cover a coworkers. I had been late three times; however, was never counseled or spoken to about it. I had been borrowing a friend's vehicle most of the time to get back and forth to work. My supervisor told me that not having transportation affected my ability to perform my work functions so there for I was disqualified from holding the position. When asked for the records of dates and time this I missed or were late as proof that the transportation was causing a problem I was told there were no records of that. I asked why I had not received any prior warning about this termination or the concern, I was told that the casual inquiry by my coworker about the arrival of my new car from a probate issue was the warning I received. I never had a conversation with my supervisor about my transporation to/from work. The college students I transport wrote a letter in protest indicating that I have never been late in picking them up and dropping them off, and that they feel there was no need to have me terminated. In fact they passed around a petition challenging my termination and requesting my reinstatement. By the way. The husband of the employee who was responsible for evaluating me (which was above average in June 01) turned out to be the person who replaced me the same day I was terminated.

I am in the process if filing a formal grievance as per college policy. Everyone I speak to seems to thinks it's unreasonable to terminate someone for a lack of transportation, when there has not been a problem. Also The manner, meaning without any prior warnings or documentation that a problem even exists, seems to everyone to be highly suspect, and good cause for me to take action. College policy is fairly direct in the required documentation required to terminate a classified staff employee. lastly, I know that Oregon requires an employee be paid their final wages after termination within 24 hours. I was was supposed to be paid the following monday, but it wasn't until that thursday I was paid.

This issue could cause a lot of controversy on campus as I am also a student and serve as the student body president. please, i could use some insights prior to the expense of legal representation in my hometown here in oregon.

Thanks,

JD Jensen

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">