• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination and vacation pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrbeckett

Hello I live and worked in Gerogia for a company based in North Carolina and was terminated. The comapny did pay pay out accured vacation and sick time. Are they required to?

The company policy manual does read that they will not pay vacation/sick time upon termination but was hoping state laws may prevent this?

Also the policy manual says rolling over vacation from year to year is not allowed . Is this allowed? I was hoping to get paid for 2005 vacation time I have??

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Neither Federal nor Georgia law requires the employer to pay out either vacation or sick time on termination, or requires them to carry it over from year to year.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if your employer's policies are completely legal.

(I am not aware of any state that requires the payout of sick time on termination unless expressly promised by policy or contract.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">