• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashamber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
My daughter who is 18 years old and a senior in high school...started working for a local store. She stated when she interviewed that she could not work weekends. She was hired and was promised a couple of hours here and there. The first week she worked approximately 20 hrs and closed. I spoke with the assistant manager and we agreed that she would not work closing and the weekends were off based on her schedule. She had a graduation and enrollment in college the last two weekends and could not work. She told the manager and he suggested that she quit. She did not and he left her name off the schedule. She looked on the system today and she has been terminated. Is this legal?

LdiJ

My daughter who is 18 years old and a senior in high school...started working for a local store. She stated when she interviewed that she could not work weekends. She was hired and was promised a couple of hours here and there. The first week she worked approximately 20 hrs and closed. I spoke with the assistant manager and we agreed that she would not work closing and the weekends were off based on her schedule. She had a graduation and enrollment in college the last two weekends and could not work. She told the manager and he suggested that she quit. She did not and he left her name off the schedule. She looked on the system today and she has been terminated. Is this legal?
Sure its legal. Clearly they were not interested in keeping an employee who had so limited availability. Also, most employers are not going to be interested in an employee whose parent feels it appropriate to discuss the schedule with the employer. You really kind of sunk your daughter with that one.

CSO286

Employer can terminate with or without notice. Why wouldn't this be legal?

I'm having trouble seeing why this is your problem? your daughter is an adult. Frankly, I'd fire anyone who had their mom come and talk scheduling to me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Concur with all of the above. It's absolutely legal, and now that your daughter is a legal adult, you need to stay out of her employment. What might have passed at 16 years of age (MIGHT - if she's old enough to work she should be old enough to manage her own schedule without help from Mommy) - simply does not fly at 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">