• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thanksgiving for specific religion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stylie

I am working in a Jewish non-profitable organization.
My boss announced that ONLY non-Jewish workers would have Friday (the day following Thanksgiving) off. The Jewish workers will work on Friday.
Isn’t it discrimination according to the CA law? Can I do anything about it?
Thank you for your help in this matter.

B

buddy2bear

As far as I know, Thanksgiving and the day after, are not religious holidays. The day after Thanksgiving has become a "shopper's holiday." Join the club -- at least we get Thanksgiving! Some people don't -- i.e., essential personnel. Non-profits have a whole different set of rules that they go by. Most employers can designate what they consider a holiday, unless it is a religious holiday, and even then, if the employee has agreed to work that day, they work. Having a holiday is a benefit not a right unless it is your religious day and you have agreed with your employer to work that religious day.

S

stylie

buddy2bear. Thank you for he input. I really didn't think about it in this matter. But my question is still- can non jews be seperated from the jewish workers when it is NOT a religious holiday?

B

buddy2bear

It does sound like discrimination based on religion. However, like I said, non-profits operate by different rules. Why not call your EEOC and ask them the question? Jews take Jewish holidays off, and most of the time, Christian holidays also, yet Christians most of the time, do not get Jewish holidays off. A lot of companies give out personal days because of this problem. My boss, who is Jewish, just goes out of town at the end of the year for 2 weeks, thereby avoiding the issue entirely. We ASSUME that we have Christmas and New Years off since the staff is Christian. So, since the boss/owner avoids the whole issue, we get together and decide amongst ourselves and we take Christmas off and maybe trade one or two other days amongst us. I am sure that he is aware of this and I am sure that this way he doesn't have to see that he is paying us for a day or two off. He's extremely tight -- Scrouge was a dream compared to him -- LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">