• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft at Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nora Winkler

I am a service clerk/cashier at a national drugstore. My state is Florida. I helped a new assistant manager by verifying seven banded amounts of cash that he had prepared to drop down into the store safe. A week later I was called into the office by the company Loss Prevention person. One of the banded amounts of cash was missing. Turns out that it was $ 800.00, in one hundred dollar denominations. ( I remember the particulars, because I questioned the assistant mgr. as to whether I had replaced the band tight enough. He took it from me, and said that it was okay.) Also, when he dropped the individual bundles of money, I heard them being dropped, except I remember wondering if I heard them all, but told myself that I may not be able to hear the lightweight one of the 8 hundred dollar bills..No one ever told me that the drawer would pull all the way out to reveal the actual drop tube opening at the back of the cash drawer. I was shown this later as I was being questioned by Loss Prevention, I requested that someone then show me what the drawer pulled out all the way looked like. In my heart, now I know that the asst. manager did not drop that $ 800.00...he only pretended. In hindsight, now I realize that I should have acted on my moment of wonder on that day. Our store management team has always known that I occasional help verify a cash drop, but never took the time to find out whether or not I was trained properly to be able to do this job. Also, a camera was on us during this count/drop procedure. I did not take any money, the assistant managers job is to do the actual dropping of cash. Should I worry about being fired because of this incident? Also, do company's have the right to check into my financial records, credit reports, etc. I have plenty of money in the bank, and excellent credit report.

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different. Because of that, even though from the facts you gave, if anyone was negligent, it was the employer for not properly training you, they could fire you, because they do not need a cause. It is not a legal issue; it is a matter of how they feel about this. To put it another way, unless you have a union, they could fire you if they want without having to show a reason.

As far as the credit check is concerned, I am not sure if they have the right to conduct a check without your permission, but they probably have a right to do so, or at least to ask you, because you handle money for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">