• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is their a law that protects employees against:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Malpherian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

IM a truck driver student and I work fro CR england, When they braught me here they told me not to drive myself, to bring only money for food, and some cloths and hygein products etc. They then baught me a greyhound ticket to their school here in indiana. They said they would pay for houseing and transportation.

3 months later I have my CDL, and am at a hotel waiting to do my phase 2 upgrade, however before I do that I have to go home and get new contacts, and get my temp CDL made into my home states permanent one.

When I requested CR england send me home to do this since I can't drive the truck without my contacts their reply was " Your supposed to pay your way home yourself", When I said I don;t have any money to do that and that I can't drive without my contacts the lady said that in order to get home Id have to buy my own ticket, again. When I said (and I said it sarcastically), Well I mean I can just stay in the hotel for the rest of my contract if you all don't want me driving". She said no you wont be doing that and you ahve until tonight to either buy the ticket yourself or get removed from the hotel.

Im 2500 miles away from my home and this company is telling me that I am about to be on the street because they don't want to pay for a greyhound bus ticket back to my home so I can get my liscens upgraded and my contacts so I can come back and finish my training and drive for them.

There going to abandon me in the middle of nowhere with nothing basically, and with no way to get home and without shelter, when they stated they would shelter and provide transportation.

Isn't their some law that protects me from this? I tried looking for E,ployee abandonment laws but came up empty. I have high scores in their classes, accident free 30,000+ miles, and a full CDL liscnes.

Please help me.

Banned_Princess

So funny you should post this right now. My ahem. friend also recently finished his cdl license and he traveled from TN to ILL to train to work for whatever company, and was told he would be put up and all of that stuff just like you were describing.

Unfortunately for him, there was a problem with his homeland security check and he was ejected from the program.

Unfortunately for the both of you, this is entirely legal and you have no legal leg to stand on with this.

Good luck getting home.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Short answer is no.

Long answer is that if you have a contract that you will be provided with certain benefits then you can sue them for not honoring that.

Why have you not been saving up some of your pay for this bus ticket?

ajkroy

And why didn't you bring your CONTACTS with you? Do you have glasses with you? How on Earth did you think you were going to learn how to drive a truck if you can't drive without lenses?? :confused:

Banned_Princess

And why didn't you bring your CONTACTS with you? Do you have glasses with you? How on Earth did you think you were going to learn how to drive a truck if you can't drive without lenses?? :confused:
I agree. Maybe the poster could be more clear about what he is talking about. What's CR England? Is that the company?

Banned_Princess

lol. I was thinking contacts, people to contact on the road. Or contacts, more senior drivers to ride shotgun. lol

Now, that seems silly.

OHRoadwarrior

Soooo, why can't you stop at a famous nat'l retailer and get glasses for $88? I realize you do not really want to work for them, however, they are not foolish enough to pay your way home when you quit.

ecmst12

Or have someone at home mail you the contacts at the hotel. Overnight mail is way cheaper than bus tickets across several states.

I don't think English is this poster's second language. I think he just can't spell.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

IM a truck driver student and I work fro CR england, When they braught me here they told me not to drive myself, to bring only money for food, and some cloths and hygein products etc. They then baught me a greyhound ticket to their school here in indiana. They said they would pay for houseing and transportation.

3 months later I have my CDL, and am at a hotel waiting to do my phase 2 upgrade, however before I do that I have to go home and get new contacts, and get my temp CDL made into my home states permanent one.

When I requested CR england send me home to do this since I can't drive the truck without my contacts their reply was " Your supposed to pay your way home yourself", When I said I don;t have any money to do that and that I can't drive without my contacts the lady said that in order to get home Id have to buy my own ticket, again. When I said (and I said it sarcastically), Well I mean I can just stay in the hotel for the rest of my contract if you all don't want me driving". She said no you wont be doing that and you ahve until tonight to either buy the ticket yourself or get removed from the hotel.

Im 2500 miles away from my home and this company is telling me that I am about to be on the street because they don't want to pay for a greyhound bus ticket back to my home so I can get my liscens upgraded and my contacts so I can come back and finish my training and drive for them.

There going to abandon me in the middle of nowhere with nothing basically, and with no way to get home and without shelter, when they stated they would shelter and provide transportation.

Isn't their some law that protects me from this? I tried looking for E,ployee abandonment laws but came up empty. I have high scores in their classes, accident free 30,000+ miles, and a full CDL liscnes.

Please help me.
Why would you think that the company has to pay for your transportation to return home to take care of your personal business before returning to complete your training?

Why did you not obtain new contacts before moving for the work training? Why can you not obtain your new contacts locally instead of demanding to go home to do it?

Why do you need to go home to get your home state's CDL NOW? Presumably, if you were to complete your training, you would be doing so on the temporary CDL that should be valid where you'll be driving. There's no reason you can't wait to get your home state's CDL until you've finished your training - and certainly no urgency in doing so now that would require the company to pay for your transportation to do it.

This isn't a work issue as much as a "lack of planning" issue. Of course the company doesn't want to have to pay for you to take care of your personal business. It won't be the company's fault that you don't have your new contacts - it will be YOURS, because you failed to plan appropriately and get this taken care of either before you started the training, or aren't willing to do so locally so that it won't require you to go home.

Methinks your "reasons" are actually unreasonable excuses to try to convince the company to give you free round-trip transportation back home for some other purpose not related to your training. It's no wonder that the company isn't going for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">