• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are there any valid reasons an employer can..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Insurance Guy

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hello -
Are there any reasons an employer (Insurance Broker) can refuse to pay a terminated employee their earned commissions. I want to point out that the commission amount I am referring to was fully earned @ the time of termination.
They owe me quite a bit of money & I have heard nothing since my termination (approx 1 month ago)

I have sent emails kindly requesting the unpaid commissions to no avail.

I have read the State laws regarding this matter, but I want to make sure there are no exceptions that I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance for your time -

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depends entirely on applicable state law AND the exact wording of the commission agreement.

Insurance Guy

" In the event _____ (company) excersises it right to waive further services of producer, as aforesaid, _____ (company) shall neverless compensate producer for the period following the date of termination, upon the same basis for compensation as in force on the date of such notice. Except as provided in Addendum A (there is no addendum A) no commission participation shall be paid or payable on premiums or commissions received by ____ (company) after said 30 day period, regardless of the effective date of the insurance transaction."

That's really all that relates to commissions & termination... Thanks Again.

pattytx

Call the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and inquire. Without seeing the agreement, we cannot venture a guess as to your particular situation. I think California may look at these types of issues on a case-by-case basis, as the labor code itself does not address commissions, bonuses, and similar types of pay specifically. All it refers to is "wages" and "earned".

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">