• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way around this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squee AKA Clint

What is the name of your state? California

Hi. Im 17 yrs old and I'm trying to get a job. I have a job all lined up, but I was told that i need a work permit.

I was enrolled in school up until last year, when i opted(mis-spelled?) out, at the recomendation of my counsler and principle, because I am going to take a test called the CHSPE, and they saw no reason that I needed to continue my schooling there.Basically, this test allows to graduate with a full diploma.
Now, I am not enrolled in any school whatsoever.

And though I'm not sure that this matters, but I'm going to be 18 in 1 month. And yes, i relize that i could just wait for a month to get a job, but I would like a steady income :p

I know that i could always try going through the proper channels, but is that really necessary?

Is there anyway to get around needing a work permit?

And also, I have read this document below. I think that its called the "Child Labor Pamphlet"(??). Yes I've noticed that it refers to my general situation, but I'm wondering if my circumstances would make any difference.

Sorry for being so long winded :p

1. MINOR DEFINED

Almost all minors under the age of 18 are subject to California’s child labor protections. Under the California Labor Code, "minor" means any person under the age of 18 years who is required to attend school under the provisions of the Education Code, and includes minors under age six. Nonresidents of the state who would be subject to California’s compulsory education laws if they were residents are also considered minors and are subject to all the requirements and protections of the Labor Code [LC 1286(c)] (See Chapter 3 of this digest). The Labor Code definition means, for example, that high school graduates under the age of 18, who are not subject to the compulsory education laws, are entirely excluded from permit requirements, workhour restrictions, and all occupational prohibitions. However, under federal regulation high school graduates may not be employed in an occupation prohibited to minors under 18 unless they have also completed a bona fide course of training in that occupation [29 CFR 570.50]. "Dropouts" are still subject to California’s compulsory education laws, and thus are subject to all state child labor requirements (See Chapter 2 of this digest). Emancipated minors are subject to all California’s child labor laws, except that they may apply for a work permit without their parents’ permission [FC 7050] (See Chapter 3 of this digest).

2. SCHOOL ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS

Minors aged six through 15 years must attend school full-time unless the minor is a high school graduate [EC 49110], attends an approved alternative school [EC 48224], is tutored [EC 48224], is on an approved leave of absence [EC 48232], has transferred from another state with less than 10 days left in the school year [EC 48231], or has justifiable personal reasons requested by the parent and approved by the principal including, illness, court appearances, religious observances and retreats, funerals, or employment conferences [EC 48205]. In rare circumstances, 14 and 15-year-olds enrolled in Work Experience Education may be granted a permit to work full-time during school hours [EC 49130] (See Chapter 5 of this digest).

Sixteen and seventeen-year-olds, who have not graduated from high school or who have not received a certificate of proficiency may opt to attend part-time classes. Those who are regularly employed must attend continuation classes for at least four hours per week. Those not regularly employed must attend continuation classes for at least 15 hours per week [EC 48400 and 48402]. No minor may legally drop out of school entirely.

Note: Schools may excuse the absences of a pupil who holds an entertainment work permit or who participates with a not-for-profit arts organization in a performance for a public school audience. For additional information, refer to the section entitled, "Excused School Absences," in Chapter 9 of this digest.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. There is no way to get around needing a work permit.

Why should you be exempted from the law just because it's not convenient for you?

Squee AKA Clint

I dont feel that i should be exempt because of its not convenient for me, but because it makes no sense, seeing as im am legally exempt from school. and one last thing, arn't we a bit snippy,cbg? i hope today has gone better for you.

Zephyr, thank you for your help. i appreciate it greatly.

seniorjudge

Squee AKA Clint said:
I dont feel that i should be exempt because of its not convenient for me, but because it makes no sense, seeing as im am legally exempt from school. and one last thing, arn't we a bit snippy,cbg? i hope today has gone better for you.

Zephyr, thank you for your help. i appreciate it greatly.
cbg is a lot smarter on a bad day than you will ever be.

But, anyway, your feelings are not relevant here.

You have to follow the rules.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">