• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckyroofus

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I worked for a company that origanally was to close down 2 yrs ago but they decided to stay open and I was called back to work. About 2 months ago they again said they were closing due to losing a customer, but 3 weeks ago they said that they would be staying open through Jan. Since being called back to work I've been witness to a group of employees (the plant manager included) doing such things as going shopping (personal - but also got things for work such as tissue or rubber gloves) and taking unscheduled cigarette breaks nearly every 45min throughout the day. 2 weeks ago I was witness to 3 smoke breaks and a 1 1/2 hour paid shopping trip (all within 3 1/2 hrs) while they were getting overtime pay. I never said anything about it that day but I did leave early because it was unbearable to watch. As this was extra hours I had no set time that I had to be there. 4 days later I was 'let go' due to my poor work attitude. I was told that I hurt a lot of workers by saying that it was the best day of my life when we were told of the plant closing, something I never did. I always did my job while I was there and believed that others should as well. I brought this up to the plant manager and was given many excuses of why they were able to do these things. I feel that they were afraid that I would rat them out so it would be best for them if I didn't work there anymore. Now I don't even have that job as a reference. Is there anything that I can do? Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. File for unemployment and look for a new job.

You may have gotten a raw deal but nothing you describe is illegal or gives you any legal recourse.

HomeGuru

luckyroofus said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I worked for a company that origanally was to close down 2 yrs ago but they decided to stay open and I was called back to work. About 2 months ago they again said they were closing due to losing a customer, but 3 weeks ago they said that they would be staying open through Jan. Since being called back to work I've been witness to a group of employees (the plant manager included) doing such things as going shopping (personal - but also got things for work such as tissue or rubber gloves) and taking unscheduled cigarette breaks nearly every 45min throughout the day. 2 weeks ago I was witness to 3 smoke breaks and a 1 1/2 hour paid shopping trip (all within 3 1/2 hrs) while they were getting overtime pay. I never said anything about it that day but I did leave early because it was unbearable to watch. As this was extra hours I had no set time that I had to be there. 4 days later I was 'let go' due to my poor work attitude. I was told that I hurt a lot of workers by saying that it was the best day of my life when we were told of the plant closing, something I never did. I always did my job while I was there and believed that others should as well. I brought this up to the plant manager and was given many excuses of why they were able to do these things. I feel that they were afraid that I would rat them out so it would be best for them if I didn't work there anymore. Now I don't even have that job as a reference. Is there anything that I can do? Thanks.

**A: work as a Santa's helper until you find a new job.

justalayman

I'm not sure he got a raw deal. The OP stated he stated it was the best day of his life.

Actually by the sound of the post he was a whiner at work. Granted the things they saw should not be tolerated by a company, but if they do not deal with them it is the company's choice. Not saying the OP should join in but sometimes a blind eye is the best response.

I'm sure that his concerns showed more than they might have realized thus causing a negative attitude.

luckyroofus

justalayman said:
I'm not sure he got a raw deal. The OP stated he stated it was the best day of his life.

Actually by the sound of the post he was a whiner at work. Granted the things they saw should not be tolerated by a company, but if they do not deal with them it is the company's choice. Not saying the OP should join in but sometimes a blind eye is the best response.

I'm sure that his concerns showed more than they might have realized thus causing a negative attitude.
I guess I left a few things out... I never stated that it was the best day of my life. This happened to be a made up excuse, a flat out lie told about me. As a person that is supposed to be in charge I guess they can make up any lie they want about you to cover their own behinds. Also the company is not aware of these things or these people (including the plant manager) would not be employed there. The head plant is about 3 hrs away,the president of the company only came to this plant maybe one day every 2 weeks or so. And surprise, on those days everyone worked as they should. If in fact I was a whiner I wasn't the only one. It's just that they knew that eventually I would have told someone higher up of what they were doing, as it was only getting worse as time went on. This plant manager is friends with these few and has covered for them before. In fact I'm not the first one to be 'Let Go' over this.

justalayman

Sorry about that after re-reading I did see that you denied that.

The sad truth is they did nothing illegal. In this world it is aften who you know and whos' butt you kiss. As long as they didn't fire you for being a protected whistleblower or for a discriminatory action, you're just without a job.

Sometimes life isn't fair. The fact that you live (as most of us) in an employment at will state, they can fire you anytime they want without any justification, barring very few things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">