• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Royalsnowflake0

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I arrived at my job like any other day, you see I was the temporary store manger for a company. After I was scheduled to get off our truck came in and my closing key holder did not know how to receive in the truck so I stayed like always to help. My Area Manager and the Loss Preventions Manager came into the store. They started interogating everyone in the store because during inventory they shrunk out $65,000. I had only been there a couple of months so I automatically had to sit in on these interogations of the other employees. I watched and listen to everything and was amazed at what I found out that the employees were doing before I came aboard. These three employees were arrested. I was ready to leave and they called me back in the office. My area manager picked up the trash can and asked who's drink and potato chip wrapper was in the trash. Being very honest, I told them it was mine. He asked me if I paid for it and I told him yes. He asked why there was not a receipt on the bag and I told him that I left the receipt up front because I was the only employee in the building and I had customers so I could not go to the back. He said without a receipt I had no proof I paid for it. He asked me when I bought it I told him I was not sure but it was within the last 4 days because I had been open to close. He said without the receipt I had no proof it was paid for and that if he wastes his time trying to find a receipt and there was not one he would prosecute me for theft. He said even if he was to go into the computer and see how many milks and chips were sold there was still no proof that I am the one who paid for that. He then told me that I was terminated and that I have to pay restitution for the chips and milk. He said that he would put down that I was terminated for not following company procedures. He gave me until the 11th of March to pay back $1.67 cents. I was so shocked and speechless that at the time I did not say anything but this is screwed up. I told him that I had been working open to close non stop, I travel 3 hours a day to this location to help him out, I prepped this store for inventory, I just completed my training course and this was how they were going to treat me. What should I do about this? Was I wrongfully terminated?
Chris

seniorjudge

Royalsnowflake0 said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

I arrived at my job like any other day, you see I was the temporary store manger for a company. After I was scheduled to get off our truck came in and my closing key holder did not know how to receive in the truck so I stayed like always to help. My Area Manager and the Loss Preventions Manager came into the store. They started interogating everyone in the store because during inventory they shrunk out $65,000. I had only been there a couple of months so I automatically had to sit in on these interogations of the other employees. I watched and listen to everything and was amazed at what I found out that the employees were doing before I came aboard. These three employees were arrested. I was ready to leave and they called me back in the office. My area manager picked up the trash can and asked who's drink and potato chip wrapper was in the trash. Being very honest, I told them it was mine. He asked me if I paid for it and I told him yes. He asked why there was not a receipt on the bag and I told him that I left the receipt up front because I was the only employee in the building and I had customers so I could not go to the back. He said without a receipt I had no proof I paid for it. He asked me when I bought it I told him I was not sure but it was within the last 4 days because I had been open to close. He said without the receipt I had no proof it was paid for and that if he wastes his time trying to find a receipt and there was not one he would prosecute me for theft. He said even if he was to go into the computer and see how many milks and chips were sold there was still no proof that I am the one who paid for that. He then told me that I was terminated and that I have to pay restitution for the chips and milk. He said that he would put down that I was terminated for not following company procedures. He gave me until the 11th of March to pay back $1.67 cents. I was so shocked and speechless that at the time I did not say anything but this is screwed up. I told him that I had been working open to close non stop, I travel 3 hours a day to this location to help him out, I prepped this store for inventory, I just completed my training course and this was how they were going to treat me. What should I do about this? Was I wrongfully terminated?
Chris
Q: Was I wrongfully terminated?

A: No, because you violated this rule: "He asked why there was not a receipt on the bag and I told him that I left the receipt up front because I was the only employee in the building and I had customers so I could not go to the back."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do. It means a specific law prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did.

No law prohibits the employer from:

1.) Terming you because you did not follow company procedures
2.) Terming you because he believes you did not pay for the items, even if he is wrong.

Since no law prohibits him from firing you for either of the reasons you suggest, you were not wrongfully terminated.

File for unemployment and look for other work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">