• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there legal recourse to stop unsatisfactory evaluations from former preceptors...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whoopee

I am a doctor who recently accepted a new job. I signed and sent back the contract. I have had to wait to be credentialled by the hospital's medical board to obtain privileges before I can start work. Although I have been practicing successfully for 6 1/2 yrs, they solicit information from any training program or prior work experience. Although I was successfully graduated from residency and fellowship, 1 person from each of those programs checked off "unsatisfactory" regarding my ability to get along with peers and others, and 1 person hinted that I may have had "emotional problems" at that time. Despite glowing evaluations from my past 2 employers for the past 6 1/2 years, these negative comments from programs from 7-12 yrs ago have likely cost me this job, and will most certainly have a similar effect on any other job I seek. What legal recourse, if any, do I have against these individuals maligning me in the future to protect myself against them adversely affecting my ability to obtain gainful employment?

L

loku

If what they are saying is not true, then it is defamation and you can sue them for that. You could get the court to stop them from giving such untrue reports in the future, and you could get damages for your loss up to now. You may even win punitive damages; however, I am not sure of that. If you have evidence that they are lying, then I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney about a defamation suit.

If what they are saying is true, there is no legal way to get them to stop saying it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">