• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there such a law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

November Rain

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

This may be a stupid question, but I figured I should ask;

Is there a law, code, or regulation regarding working in extreme heat? What is it and what would be considered as an extreme heat temperature?

I work in a sheetmetal shop in the paint area. My employer has, in previous years, had us change our hours to work in the cooler temps of the Am. This year, for whatever reason he's refusing to change the hours.

My position is one that requires me to work in cooler conditions because of the chemicals I work with. In the past I have worked split shifts to complete my jobs - which is hard enough for a person h\who goes to sleep at 8:30pm and doesn't get home until 10 or 11.....

When it is a mere 80 degrees outside, it is at least 95 inside. When it's 100 outside... it's 120 inside... I nearly passed out one day because of the heat.

Any help as to what we in the department can do is greatly appreciated - short of walking out or finding new jobs - it's hard enough out there to find something as it is.

Beth3

Many occupations require people to work in temperatures of 100 - 120 degrees (or more): steel mills, foundries, cooks, etc. And how about people who work outside, particularly in the southwest? Working in that kind of heat was par for the course in the summer months until the advent of air conditioning in the 1930's.

You can check with OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration: www.osha.gov) but I think you'll find that what you describe is not prohibited. Some people just are not constitutionally suited to work in that heat and you may well be one of them. If that is the case, then you need to find a new job where you will not be subjected to those kinds of temperatures.

If the heat is causing chemical reactions/exposures that are hazardous (as opposed to just being uncomfortable) then that is a different matter and you should contact OSHA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">