• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

These people really did a number on her...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyLou

I am in Florida and my mother was just terminated from her job at Maxim Healthcare(Maxim corporate has had their own share of problems-these issues are from my mothers branch and maxim payroll). Her boss said that she was not getting her work done and that the boss was having to do home-care visits constantly for her which is UNTRUE. My mother has been an RN for over 15 years and case manager for 10, this is the first time this has ever been an issue:

GRIEVANCES

1. They would never let her take her PTO...

2. My mother had a stroke in October (2011). Fairly sure her boss didnt believe her at first, her boss insisted on visiting her in hospital- it was a VERY AWKWARD visit. My mother's boss did cover for her then.

3. My mother's mother (my grandmother) died last Christmas (2010). As executor of the estate, my mother had to address the service and burial. My mother's boss covered for her then.

**These are the only time she was able to get time off and needed covering for - for hospital recovery or mourning. Also - as a side note - my mothers boss actually MISSED the scheduled visits while "covering for my mother". **

4. My mother, upon accepting the job, was promised NO WEEKEND VISITS (on-call or not). This was one of the main reasons she took the job, she would finally get to enjoy her weekends - or so she thought. Since, I have watched her leave for weekend oncall visits frequently, some as far as 100 miles away (yes, literally).

5. Burned-out, over-worked and under-paid, she finally was able to take a Friday off (last week and after working Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years -- they messed up her PTO during her stroke and hospital stay.)(also I would like to add that she was encouraged by her boss at the hospital during her stroke recovery to take her time off and to not work so hard.) For some reason, though a recruiter (from the non-clinical department of her office) attempted to call her in to do a home-visit. Her boss never gave my mother a direct order or phone call personally, the boss just told this random guy in the office to keep calling her. Throughout the day he would leave messages using non-urgent phrases in his voice mails and left no indication that he was being instructed to do so BY my mothers boss. Mother did not return the calls (which was normal course of action if one could not help the recruiters) and figured the 3 other nurses that WERE available (the FULL RN STAFF besides my mother) that were given peculiarly light case loads, would, could and should easily handle it on their own (including her boss whose job IS to cover for the other nursing supervisors when they are out.) That Monday, my mother came into the office facing a storm. Her boss said that she had to do my mother's visit for her and that mother should have returned the call from the random guy on Friday - her day off. (a.) The visit was done at 8PM Saturday night-thus this was the on-call nurses problem - the patient was not even discharged on Friday so there was no reason for the Friday calls or to concern my mother with this AT ALL during her vacation day. (b.) The on-call nurse offered to do the visit but my mother's boss said that it was my mothers job to come in and do it on her weekend. (c.) When the patient was discharged on Saturday my mother never even received a call informing her that the situation still needed addressing - by Saturday's time, my mother figured they had worked everything out (whatever it was-at the time she had no idea what was going on due to the vagueness of the messages left on her voicemail by the recruiter.)

6. They screwed up her paycheck for 2 solid months. They over paid her in one of her paychecks in November of 2011. They offered to fix it gradually over Decembers paychecks. The first week or 2, they gave her a short paycheck, which was correct. However, they apparently forgot after the third week and over paid her AGAIN, thus dragging this out over the new year. This messed up the whole holiday season for us - it was hell.

7. They suddenly REQUIRED employees to attend "team building" get-togethers off property (i.e. drinking binges), after hours and unpaid that would continue LATE into the evenings and in the middle of the week and then expect employees to be on-time in the morning (even though my mothers boss and bosses boss would ALWAYS call out or just plain no-show.)

FYI, I live with my mother and have bore witness to the phone calls, the paycheck mess the stroke visit from her boss, etc. From day one, I have felt that my mother has had to deal with age discrimination (she is the oldest in the office- she in her 50's, everyone else in the office is in their 30's) and now racism (my mother is white, her boss is black who has just newly hired all black clinical supervisors). WE ARE SURE THIS IS RACIAL - there has not been an issue until these black nurses came onto the scene. These people have harassed and used my mother for 15 months (her entire employment there), do we have legal recourse?:mad:

I am not looking at recourse for myself... I am looking into it for my mother. I have noticed that there is a "Hostile Work Environment" Law that may apply...

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in Florida and my mother was just terminated from her job at Maxim Healthcare(Maxim corporate has had their own share of problems-these issues are from my mothers branch and maxim payroll). Her boss said that she was not getting her work done and that the boss was having to do home-care visits constantly for her which is UNTRUE. My mother has been an RN for over 15 years and case manager for 10, this is the first time this has ever been an issue:

GRIEVANCES

2. My mother had a stroke in October (2011). Fairly sure her boss didnt believe her at first, her boss insisted on visiting her in hospital- it was a VERY AWKWARD visit. My mother's boss did cover for her then.

3. My mother's mother (my grandmother) died last Christmas (2010). As executor of the estate, my mother had to address the service and burial. My mother's boss covered for her then.

**These are the only time she was able to get time off and needed covering for - for hospital recovery or mourning. Also - as a side note - my mothers boss actually MISSED the scheduled visits while "covering for my mother". **

4. My mother, upon accepting the job, was promised NO WEEKEND VISITS (on-call or not). This was one of the main reasons she took the job, she would finally get to enjoy her weekends - or so she thought. Since, I have watched her leave for weekend oncall visits frequently, some as far as 100 miles away (yes, literally).

5. Burned-out, over-worked and under-paid, she finally was able to take a Friday off (last week and after working Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years -- they messed up her PTO during her stroke and hospital stay.)(also I would like to add that she was encouraged by her boss at the hospital during her stroke recovery to take her time off and to not work so hard.) For some reason, though a recruiter (from the non-clinical department of her office) attempted to call her in to do a home-visit. Her boss never gave my mother a direct order or phone call personally, the boss just told this random guy in the office to keep calling her. Throughout the day he would leave messages using non-urgent phrases in his voice mails and left no indication that he was being instructed to do so BY my mothers boss. Mother did not return the calls (which was normal course of action if one could not help the recruiters) and figured the 3 other nurses that WERE available (the FULL RN STAFF besides my mother) that were given peculiarly light case loads, would, could and should easily handle it on their own (including her boss whose job IS to cover for the other nursing supervisors when they are out.) That Monday, my mother came into the office facing a storm. Her boss said that she had to do my mother's visit for her and that mother should have returned the call from the random guy on Friday - her day off. (a.) The visit was done at 8PM Saturday night-thus this was the on-call nurses problem - the patient was not even discharged on Friday so there was no reason for the Friday calls or to concern my mother with this AT ALL during her vacation day. (b.) The on-call nurse offered to do the visit but my mother's boss said that it was my mothers job to come in and do it on her weekend. (c.) When the patient was discharged on Saturday my mother never even received a call informing her that the situation still needed addressing - by Saturday's time, my mother figured they had worked everything out (whatever it was-at the time she had no idea what was going on due to the vagueness of the messages left on her voicemail by the recruiter.)

6. They screwed up her paycheck for 2 solid months. They over paid her in one of her paychecks in November of 2011. They offered to fix it gradually over Decembers paychecks. The first week or 2, they gave her a short paycheck, which was correct. However, they apparently forgot after the third week and over paid her AGAIN, thus dragging this out over the new year. This messed up the whole holiday season for us - it was hell.

7. They suddenly REQUIRED employees to attend "team building" get-togethers off property (i.e. drinking binges), after hours and unpaid that would continue LATE into the evenings and in the middle of the week and then expect employees to be on-time in the morning (even though my mothers boss and bosses boss would ALWAYS call out or just plain no-show.)

FYI, I live with my mother and have bore witness to the phone calls, the paycheck mess the stroke visit from her boss, etc. From day one, I have felt that my mother has had to deal with age descrimination (she is the oldest in the office- she in her 50's, everyone else in the office is in their 30's) and now racism (my mother is white, her boss is black who has just newly hired all black clinical supervisors). WE ARE SURE THIS IS RACIAL - there has not been an issue until these black nurses came onto the scene. These people have harassed and used my mother for 15 months (her entire employment there), do we have legal recourse?:mad:
What legal recourse would you ever think YOU have? :confused:

Antigone*

GRIEVANCES

FYI, I live with my mother and have bore witness to the phone calls, the paycheck mess the stroke visit from her boss, etc. From day one, I have felt that my mother has had to deal with age descrimination (she is the oldest in the office- she in her 50's, everyone else in the office is in their 30's) and now racism (my mother is white, her boss is black who has just newly hired all black clinical supervisors). WE ARE SURE THIS IS RACIAL - there has not been an issue until these black nurses came onto the scene. These people have harassed and used my mother for 15 months (her entire employment there), do we have legal recourse?:mad:
You have no recourse. Your mother, however should file for unemployment benefits and start looking for another job.

BeckyLou

Dont bother...

What legal recourse would you ever think YOU have? :confused:
If your not going to read the post, please dont bother answering...
My mother has been dealing with prejudice towards her age and now her skin color... as I said in the bottom paragraph...

sandyclaus

If your not going to read the post, please dont bother answering...
My mother has been dealing with prejudice towards her age and now her skin color... as I said in the bottom paragraph...
Prove that such a pattern of racial discrimination exists, and your MOM might have some kind of recourse.

As for you, you still have none.

swalsh411

Your mother was not forced to go to bars with co-workers. I flat out do not believe you that this happened.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. They would never let her take her PTO... There is nothing illegal about this.

2. My mother had a stroke in October (2011). Fairly sure her boss didnt believe her at first, her boss insisted on visiting her in hospital- it was a VERY AWKWARD visit. My mother's boss did cover for her then. There is nothing illegal about this.

3. My mother's mother (my grandmother) died last Christmas (2010). As executor of the estate, my mother had to address the service and burial. My mother's boss covered for her then. There is nothing illegal about this.

4. My mother, upon accepting the job, was promised NO WEEKEND VISITS (on-call or not). This was one of the main reasons she took the job, she would finally get to enjoy her weekends - or so she thought. Since, I have watched her leave for weekend oncall visits frequently, some as far as 100 miles away (yes, literally). There is nothing illegal about this unless she has a legally binding and enforceable CONTRACT or CBA that specifically and in so many words GUARANTEES that she will never, under any circumstanceds, have to do a weekend visit.

5. Burned-out, over-worked and under-paid, she finally was able to take a Friday off ...For some reason, though a recruiter (from the non-clinical department of her office) attempted to call her in to do a home-visit. Her boss never gave my mother a direct order or phone call personally, the boss just told this random guy in the office to keep calling her... There is nothing illegal about this.

6. They screwed up her paycheck for 2 solid months...
As long as they ultimately corrected it, there is nothing illegal about this.

7. They suddenly REQUIRED employees to attend "team building" get-togethers off property... There is nothing illegal about this.

What EVIDENCE does YOUR MOTHER have that any of this is age and race related?

There is no "we" in this. YOU have no legal recourse and never will have any. YOUR MOTHER, IF she can come up with something other than supposition, is the only one who would ever have any recourse.

BeckyLou

Your mother was not forced to go to bars with co-workers. I flat out do not believe you that this happened.
Whether you believe it or not... it is true... get over yourself and stop posting useless junk. If you don't have a helpful answer, don't waste our time with your bitter postings. Some of us need REAL advise, not flaming ___.

BeckyLou

1. They would never let her take her PTO... There is nothing illegal about this.

2. My mother had a stroke in October (2011). Fairly sure her boss didnt believe her at first, her boss insisted on visiting her in hospital- it was a VERY AWKWARD visit. My mother's boss did cover for her then. There is nothing illegal about this.

3. My mother's mother (my grandmother) died last Christmas (2010). As executor of the estate, my mother had to address the service and burial. My mother's boss covered for her then. There is nothing illegal about this.

4. My mother, upon accepting the job, was promised NO WEEKEND VISITS (on-call or not). This was one of the main reasons she took the job, she would finally get to enjoy her weekends - or so she thought. Since, I have watched her leave for weekend oncall visits frequently, some as far as 100 miles away (yes, literally). There is nothing illegal about this unless she has a legally binding and enforceable CONTRACT or CBA that specifically and in so many words GUARANTEES that she will never, under any circumstanceds, have to do a weekend visit.

5. Burned-out, over-worked and under-paid, she finally was able to take a Friday off ...For some reason, though a recruiter (from the non-clinical department of her office) attempted to call her in to do a home-visit. Her boss never gave my mother a direct order or phone call personally, the boss just told this random guy in the office to keep calling her... There is nothing illegal about this.

6. They screwed up her paycheck for 2 solid months...
As long as they ultimately corrected it, there is nothing illegal about this.

7. They suddenly REQUIRED employees to attend "team building" get-togethers off property... There is nothing illegal about this.

What EVIDENCE does YOUR MOTHER have that any of this is age and race related?

There is no "we" in this. YOU have no legal recourse and never will have any. YOUR MOTHER, IF she can come up with something other than supposition, is the only one who would ever have any recourse.
"We" are a unit and "I" have been enlisted BY "HER" to research this. Save your bitter "single and forever alone" comments to yourself.

FROM THIS POINT FORWARD: ALL USELESS POSTINGS WILL BE REPORTED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">