• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pele

What is the name of your state? Rainy but warm Hawaii

I was in my supermarket yesterday. This is a foreign-owned store, and along with food, sells, hardware, clothes, school supplies, etc. The store has not been doing well over the last three years, however, its prices are low in comparison to other stores here. Two blocks down the road a new Wal-Mart and Sam's Club will open in 7-9 months. The cashier was grumbling to me about working conditions, so I suggested she apply at Wal-Mart. She told me that if it was found at that an employee of this store applied to Wal-Mart (I am not sure about other stores) that they would be fired. I told her that didn't sound right, Wal-Mart isn't even open yet. She told me that her current employer told her it was a "conflict of interest". Is this kosher?? Can an employee be fired for applying for work at another vendor? Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While in most cases I would disagree with an employer who opted to do this, it is nonetheless legal to fire an employee for applying to work for a competitor, or any other company for that matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">