• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of civil suit after fired and going back to work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EvanBaxter

What is the name of your state? alabama

hi

i got hired on for a internet service provider 2 years ago. lets call it `company a.` it was a partnership. when i was hired on, i was made to sign a non-compete/non-disclosure agreement. it was nothing fancy, just something they pulled off the internet and printed. after about 9 months, one of the people from the partnership quit and formed another company and ill call it `company b.` i do not remember signing a new non-compete/non-disclosure for `company b` but i may have. i worked for this guy for the next 15 months. recently, he fired me because i was having to detox off of speed for my probation that im on. i started on the weekend, called in sick for 3 days (but the real reason was later disclosed by my probation officer when he was asked), showed up and worked a half day thursday and then came in and worked a full day friday. at the end of work friday, i was told i was being let go to get my stuff straightened out and that i MAYBE could get my job back the next week but i had to call them. i called the following friday and my call was not returned.

one of the businesses (company c) that i did work for while working for `company a` and `company b` had been trying to get me to come work for them for a couple months. since it seemed i was not wanted back to work for `company b,` i decided to talk to `company c.` they were more than happy to hire me. the problem comes when `company b` found out about me working for `company c`. the owner of `company b` told me that if i went to work for them at `company c,` i would face a civil suit. im asuming breach of contract of the non-compete. i talked to a lawyer today and he says alabama does not like non-compete contracts and that i should just go back to work but he could not find the non-compete statute while i was in his office.

i just wanted to get others opinions. just fyi `company a` is no longer around. the partnership was disbanded. also one of the people at `company b` knows someone at the da's office in the local town and im afraid they could try and get me in trouble somehow.

while working at `company b`, i setup a vpn network using software that is publicly available. one of the things i wanted to do for `company c` was setup its own vpn network with the same hardware and software to keep them from paying a recurring fee to `company b`. would the non-disclosure cover this? i am not really sure what a non-disclosure usually covers. i would not think it would cover this since i did nothing more than configure hardware on mini computers and software on a linux distro.

sorry but i am just trying to get my life back on track and want to go back to working for someone who i would actually enjoy working for. the owner of `company c` is really nice and has treated me really well considering my circumstances.

thank u for any help i can get.

Betty

I can't really tell you if the non-compete/non-disclosure would be upheld or not. Did your lawyer review it?
I can tell you the main provisions of the law on non-competes in Al. Non-competes are unenforceable against professionals, such as lawyers, doctors, & accountants. They can be enforceable against other employees to the extent necessary to protect the employer's legitimate interest, when reasonably restricted in time & geographic scope & when they don't impose an undue hardship on employees. To enforce a non-compete, employers usually have to show that an employee had access to confidential information or key customer relationships.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">