• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of Job Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flea

new york - my husband is a livery cab driver for a privately owned firm. he had a 2 passengers in his cab that claims a jacket was taken out of my husband's cab when he was waiting for 1 of the customers to get done getting a tattoo. the customers requested that my husband leave the cab to get them a pizza. my husband knows that the jacket was taken by 1 of the customers into the tattoo parlor with him and was not left in the cab. as a result of the jacket being gone, the customer demanded that my husband's company pay for a locksmith to get into his house since his keys were in his jacket. my husband took the customers back to the base and had his boss called at home. the situation was explained to his boss who authorized that $580 be given to the customers for a locksmith. subsequently my husband found out that the customer making the biggest stink was a con artist who took the $580 and pocketed it. my husband went to try to file a police report but was told that the report needed to be filed by his employer. his employer refused to do this. his employer now says that my husband has to pay him back the $580 or else he'll lose his job. what legal rights, if any, do we have?

L

loku

Limo driver

From the facts you give, you husband was not at fault in this; therefore, he does not have a legal obligation to repay his employer; however, an employer can fire an employee for any reason or for no reason at all; therefore, even though your husband does not owe the money, he can be legally fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">