• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of Losing Job Possibly, HELP!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrmagoo

What is the name of your state? va

Recently our company won the right to rebid on gov't contracts however, other competitors are allowed to compete. Apparently, these competitors have been actively recruiting and approaching people in my company.

One of our program directors held a secret meeting with varying groups of engineers and managers wherein she mentioned a "retention bonus" or "incentive" program as she calls it. Basically we have to agree to not do the following:

1) refrain from discussions or entertain offers from the competitors
2) do not forward or give the competitors a copy of your resume
3) agree to stay on with the team until the end of your task.

In exchange we will be offered a bonus minus taxes, these bonuses are of varying amounts.

What's ironic about this is that our program manager is refusing to let anyone who is offered the "bonus" from leaving the room with the a copy of the contract once they sign it or even if they refuse to sign it. I have heard rumors that some employees are being "encouraged" to sign the documents, otherwise its a signal to management that you have entertained offers with competitors and planning to leave. Also some employees are being told that they will possibly be pulled off their current projects. I would appreciate any assistance ASAP. thanks...

Beth3

What kind of advice are you looking for? Only you can decide whether you want to sign the retention agreement or not. What your employer is doing is not illegal and retention bonus agreements are fairly commonplace when an employer believes they are at risk of loosing critically skilled employees.

Even if you sign the agreement, I doubt your employer would have any idea whether you are having discussions about job opportunities with their competitors until such time as you resign. If you quit to go work for a competitor, I expect the worst that can happen is that you don't get a retention bonus.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">