• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened to be fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

realechic

What is the name of your state? California

I have a 19 year old co-worker who recently decided to go back to school. Her work schedule is Tues to Sat from 8:30 to 5:00 with a 30 min break. Her school schedule is Tues and Thurs. She comes in at 8:00 on those days and leaves at 4:30 to get her full 8 hours. Upon returning to school she notified our boss that she may have to take her finals on Saturdays. She was give the OK.

Today, 3/1/08, she took her final and did not go to work. To make up for the missed day, she will work on Monday, 3/3/08. Our office is open on Mondays. Our boss told her that her schooling is interfering with work and that she had to pick between school or work? Is that a "fair" and "legal" thing to say? There really is no conflict of interest between school and work because school is after work hours. Plus she also makes up for lost time.

In addition, another supervisor threatened her that she was going to contact the school and "verify" her attendance and schedule. I know she is protected by FERPA. This supervisor is also bad-mouthing my co-worker because an argument arised between the supervisor's daughter and my co-worker.

Is she being treated unfairly here?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You seem to be under the impression that her employer is required to take her school schedule into consideration and that going to school offers her some protection.

Neither is true.

If the employer chooses to cut her some slack for school, he may. Otherwise, your friend is required to be at work, when scheduled, on time, just like any other employee, and is not entitled by any law to schedule adjustments, time off, or any other benefit by virtue of her school requirements. If she cannot be there when the employer wants her there, she can legally be fired.

Fair is subjective. I'm sure the employee who had to cover for her so she could take her final didn't think that was fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">