• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doc2b

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it legal for an employer to threaten to terminate employment if you address with their superiors and/or HR that they are refusing to comply with company protocols and it is inhibiting you from doing your job?

What are the proper steps to address this kind of problem...? This is a large corporation and there are a LOT of higher ups that can be approached, but the wrong first steps could lead to disaster.

Thank you for your help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal for your employer to threaten to fire you if you go over their heads complaining about real or imagined protocol violations, with limited exceptions.

What's more, with those same limited exceptions, it is legal for them to ACTUALLY fire you, not just threaten to.

doc2b

Yes, it is legal for your employer to threaten to fire you if you go over their heads complaining about real or imagined protocol violations, with limited exceptions.

What's more, with those same limited exceptions, it is legal for them to ACTUALLY fire you, not just threaten to.
Sorry, here's more background that might help. It's not to complain, the supervisor's superiors are asking for reasons why a specially assigned project is not able to be completed within a given time frame, and it is because the protocol is not being followed by this boss that goals can't be met. She is supposed to allow a set amount of time per week to work on this project and help remove roadblocks (lighten the workload, if necessary) to facilitate this projects completion and is not doing either. She is refusing time to work on this project, and delegating her own work along with peer's work on top of this project and the normal workload, but stated that if the real explanation of the situation was given to those inquiring (specifically in writing) she would terminate employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have added changes the answer. It is still legal to threaten to fire you; it is still legal to actually fire you.

I'm not saying it is fair. I'm not saying I agree with taking such action. I am saying it is legal.

doc2b

Thanks, CBG

I've learned on here that most answers aren't what you want to hear, so I'm not surprised at your answer. Besides, nothing good comes out of sugar coated or non-legal answers, so the blunt truth is what's appreciated the most.

And, my husband (who this post is about) just got home and filled me in on the ugly details...it's gotten worse, but at least they haven't fired him (yet).:(

Thanks for your help!

doc2b

CBG...or anyone else...

Where can my husband find out about the limited circumstances that you're speaking of? The whole story unfolded when he got home and now there's a whole new set of issues that have come up. I would appreciate any help that anyone might have, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have for my husband (I'm the typer in the family). We're kind of freaking out right now because if he loses his job, we lose all of our benefits and that is not good considering we have a baby on the way any day now...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The limited circumstances I referred to were when I thought you were talking about making general complaints. They do not apply in the circumstances you described in your followup.

IF he had been complaining about, say, sexual harassment, it would not be legal to fire him for going over the heads of the harassers.

But firing him because the boss is being a jerk and not getting her work done, thus preventing him from getting his work done, and him complaining about it does not provide him with any protection.

However, if you'd like to provide the details (you can PM me if you'd rather) I can see if there is anything in THEM that helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">