• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

threatning boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluecar1968

What is the name of your state?Mi i would be considered an at will employee my problem started last monday i was told i had to sign a no competition agreement with the company after nearly 8 years of employment with the company. on friday a group were called in the office by the owner and told "if we had a problem with it we were f****** fired" when a coworker went to ask a question he was told to " get the F*** out your are F****** fired and any one else has a problem with it they are F******fired " then i was told " get your F***** tools out of my F***** biulding" so i proceeded to load up my stuff and leave. later that after noon the son of the company contacted me and told me that he did not want us to quit I informed him that I was told to leave by the owner . he told me his father would apollagize for his behavior and i could have my job back if i sign the agreement. I told him could not sing the agreement as i beleved it was unfair & i didn't know if i could work for somone that would treat his employees that way then i was told "dont think your going to get unemployment because i will fight you every step of the way! my question is do i have to accept his offer on coming back and signing it if i dont can i collect unemployment untill i find sutable work & is what he did legal?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing in the law that says an employer can't ask you to sign a non-compete after you've already been working for him. Since he wasn't asking you to do anything illegal, you have a chance at getting UI but I don't think it's a very big chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">