• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

time added to schedule without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chestertn

What is the name of your state? PA
I work for a family owned business and I have noticed that it is not always ran the way that I am used to. My shift is 6 hrs and I get a 20 min break. I took this job with the agreement at my hire date that I was to work a set amount of hours, part time and on certain days. The employeer set the time and days, I worked my school schedule around it. In the beginning of Sept, I noticed that time had been added to 3 of my 4 shifts, without permission from me. I addressed the situation with my employer, who put me off for a week stating they were to busy or would leave before I could see them. Then when I finally got to discuss the situation I was told that the schedule could not be changed until the next one came out, 2 weeks. Now, 2 months later, they have done it again. I wrote my boss an email reminding them of the meeting we just had and asking for a correction in the schedule. Their response was that I could see them about this. When I attempted to speak to them they were to busy and now are out of the office til next week.

What are my rights as an employee? Does the employeer have to stick to the agreed upon time at hire date? What about breaks? I have read that for a min of 5 hrs you are required a 30 min non paid break and a 10 min coffee break. Is this true?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What are my rights as an employee? You have plenty of rights, but none of the rights afforded you by law are being violated according to anything in your post.

Does the employeer have to stick to the agreed upon time at hire date? No. Barring a bona fide contract (not a verbal agreement, not an offer letter, a CONTRACT) that says otherwise, your employer is entitled to change your hours as business needs require.

What about breaks? I have read that for a min of 5 hrs you are required a 30 min non paid break and a 10 min coffee break. Is this true? Under PA law, if you are a seasonal farmworker or a minor under 18, you are entitled to the 30 minute non paid break after five hours of work (though not the 10 minute coffee break). If you are not a seasonal farmworker or a minor under 18, then neither Federal nor PA requires your employer to offer you any breaks at all.

chestertn

Thanks for the honesty

I am going to continue to try and settle this with my employer. They have always maintained that they appreciated me and I have won many excellence awards. The company promotes continuing education, which is why I started there. I just do not understand. Anyway thanks for letting me know where my rights stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">