• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time clocks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

corpsman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

" A " company purchased the facility where I worked, it is a one person office, and introduced a time clock. It is a company wide policy so I know it was not directed at me per se, therefore I quit the company. I am retired therefore this gives me the luxury of being chosey(?).

In looking for a new position,still a one person office, the place " B " company where I applied I asked about a time clock and was assurred by the owners that not only did they not use time clocks but that there was no intention of using one. I made it very clear that I would not work if there was a time clock.

6 months later. Sept 1, 2005, I came to the office and the owners had been in, set up a time clock and left it at that. I have attempted to contact them and want to ask them why but have been unable to.

There has not been any question of my work ethics to date at this facility. I open, close and do my job the way it should be done. I have requested a evaluation in the past but they have stoned walled me.

I realize that as a owner you have control of your business but it seems to me that there should be some type of explanation and/or recourse I should have. It is very aggravating since I passed up higher paying emplyment doing the same work and the reason why I took this position is that they did not know the business and it was challenging.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They do not owe you any kind of explanation. If they want to implement a time clock, they may do so without your permission or approval.

If you don't want to work where there is a time clock, you are at liberty to quit.

You have not asked a legal question,or a question at all. However, I will tell you for free that they have violated no laws, and if you don't like what they're doing that's tough.

You are taking this much too personally. The world does not revolve around you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I sense a certain amount of sarcasm in your response.

A few possibilities:

1.) They may be planning to hire several other employees in the near future
2.) The law requires them to keep an accurate record of your hours. They may have determined (and they are correct in this if they have) that a time clock poses the easiest and most accurate way to do so
3.) Same as #2 with regards to benefits which are based on hours worked
4.) Depending on the nature of the business, they may need proof of hours worked for client billing
5.) And, of course, it's always possible that their evaluation of your work does not match your own.

corpsman

Follow-up

Thank you for the response and yes there was sarcasm present. I apologize.

Of the 5 possibilites only # 5 would probably be applicable, the nature of the business. I realize I have no control over their judgement calls. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">