• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

time limit on applying for unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jwd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

Once fired is there a time limit on applying for unemployment benefits in California? If I wait X number of days or weeks will I lose my chance?

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

stebbinsd

I don't care what the time-limit is; they usually give you ample time to file your claim. For example, when I learned about racial and sexual discrimination, the teacher who taught it to me actually described the 180 day maximum limit as a "very tight window," but if you don't procrastinate, 180 days is MORE than enough time to get the job done. Give me a 30 day time frame, and then we'll talk about tight windows.

You should apply for unemployment insurance the minute they put the pink slip in your hand. Hell, without a job to go to, it's not like you have a whole lot of commitments in the day, right?

pattytx

I don't care what the time-limit is; they usually give you ample time to file your claim. For example, when I learned about racial and sexual discrimination, the teacher who taught it to me actually described the 180 day maximum limit as a "very tight window," but if you don't procrastinate, 180 days is MORE than enough time to get the job done. Give me a 30 day time frame, and then we'll talk about tight windows.

You should apply for unemployment insurance the minute they put the pink slip in your hand. Hell, without a job to go to, it's not like you have a whole lot of commitments in the day, right?
Um, you're referencing the limit for an EEOC or DFEH claim, NOT unemployment. It's not even the same regulatory agency, let alone the same cause of action. :rolleyes:

There can be some advantages to "waiting" if the wages are such that filing a claim in the subsequent quarter to the termination would result in higher benefits.

Last edited:

stebbinsd

Um, you're referencing the limit for an EEOC or DEFH claim, NOT unemployment. It's not even the same regulatory agency, let alone the same cause of action. :rolleyes:

There can be some advantages to "waiting" if the wages are such that filing a claim in the subsequent quarter to the termination would result in higher benefits.
The point I was trying to make (sorry if it didn't come out the way it was supposed to) was that the government usually gives you plenty of time to file your claims. :rolleyes:

eerelations

Your definition of time limit and the UI commission's definition of time limit may be very very different. I think the UI commission's definition would be more helpful to the OP, and in fact that's what the OP was asking for - not yours. Unfortunately, I don't happen to know what the UI commission's time limit for filing is. However, someone else here might know that and by posting it will actually answer the OP's question.

OP, if you don't get the answer you're looking for here, I reco you call the commission directly. (And while I haven't answered your question, I have at least pointed you in the right direction to an answer. :))

Jwd

Thank you all for the responses. Trying to reach a live person at the UI dept. here in California has proven difficult. The reason I ask is because a former co-worker of mine may have evidence of my former employers misconduct in regards to my termination but that former co-worker is on leave and temporarily unreachable. I fully expect my former employer to contest my UI benefits and I figured it best to get all my ducks in a row before I start the process.

thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">