• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Told I was being demoted but didn't accept it will I get unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Details

What is the name of your state? FL
I was a detail shop manager for a 3rd party company at a new car dealership. My company was informed by the dealer that we were loosing the account as of 1/15/08. I was out of work for several days but when I returned my Dist. Mgr informed me that while I was out he and the V.P. met with the G.M. of the dealer and they were told that the reason they were loosing the account was because the dealer didn't think I was doing a good job which is B.S. My Dist. Mgr. then told me that I was being demoted and transfered to another store as a detailer because the dealer didn't want me on their property anymore.

I told the D.M. that I knew I didn't have to accept this position as it wasn't another management position with the same rate of pay. He told me I was being demoted and that I didn't have to accept it if I didn't want to but that was the only posisition they were offering to me.

I never went to the new store as I was hired as a manager not as a detailer. I have filed for unemployment but I know my former company fights to keep from paying out any unemployment. Do you think they will be able to stop me from getting unemployment? Jobs are hard to find and I need the money.

enjay

Why should you get unemployment if you voluntarily quit your job? Companies are allowed to demote people.

CraigFL

Welcome to reality and the world of two steps forward and one step back. It's good you stood on your principles but now you don't have any work. You may even find that new jobs will be harder to get because of what happened on the last one. Myself, I always follow the "rule of wingwalking" -- never let go of what you have until you have a hold on something else. But... the good news is that you will recover and we all have to learn the hard way. Now forget about the unemployment and find a place that wants and needs you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You turned down available work. Nothing in your post suggests that UI would be available.

Details

I can't get unemployment even though they wouldn't give me a management job with the same pay I was making? I thought they had to offer me a similar position with the same pay and if they didn't I had the right to refuse to accept it.

mlane58

I can't get unemployment even though they wouldn't give me a management job with the same pay I was making? I thought they had to offer me a similar position with the same pay and if they didn't I had the right to refuse to accept it.
That would only be true if you had been out on an FMLA (Family Medical Leave) and you were not. As the other posters have stated, you turned down available work and therefore would most likely be ineligible for UEI benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">