• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tool Storage Fees? Who Should Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SONIKFEER

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hello to all; My topic is about my tools being moved off the property to a storage lot without my approval. Now before I hear from a certain person, I will say that "Yes, If I died tomorrow problem would be solved". Back to the point, I would like to know what legal action can be taken if any? Would I be legally Liebal for, such as storage fee(in his own name,not the company's)? Can I sue for all damages to my stuff? Now I believe I do have some rights for action taken against my property, am I right? Probly not. Other things are imbeded in this issue that I feel cross over to a Malicious intent from him. He chose not to help me move my tools there but took money out of his own pocket to move them out, or he chose not to reimburse my moving expense which he said he would see what he could do.Continuing along with his intent of action was the fact that he was quoted calling me a "Premedonna" before I was even hired. How are these comments to be takened? When I confronted him about these issues and about others is when things went very south and I was given just about every crap job that came through the door. When I asked him why? He said that another tech "who's experience is less than 1/8 of mine" was given those jobs because that's all he can do. Well that's fine, but if all he can do is, all the easy,well paying jobs that require me to solve and him to make the money on. Than I have a right to voice what I feel is unfair work status or worth. These are some of the things that I had to put up with. Let me ask, Can you work with a person with no "ethics or morallity"? What are my options if any? Thanks to all who read, and because this site may or may not help me with your knowledge please feel free to ask me advice about your car. Yes I have experience on the upper priced range vehicles that most of you own;) I'm sure you'd be surprised I guarantee. Thanks Ed. ;)

JETX

The issue of whether you are liable for the costs of storage hinges on a LOT of FACTS (not emotional issues).

For example:
1) Why were your tools in someone elses location?
2) What efforts did you make to recover the tools?
3) How long were the tools there?
4) What, if anything, was discussed by EITHER party as to the tools?

And those are just the FIRST questions.

S

SONIKFEER

The question about the tools being in someone else's location is not clear to me Jetx. I worked with him at a location that he managed for Monro auto group. The place was in shambles when I got there. There was no room between lifts for us to set the lifts to raise cars up and down. But that's not the issue. My tools were at my place of employment.
2) I made efforts to claim unemployment but was denied because of the dismissal. This was only the second time in 16 yrs have I ever claimed or tried to claim unemployment. I know that's not relevent,but it does show a little of my character. And I've only been fired one time before this because of new management, but still held my respect among my coworkers. Without unemployment I had no money to store my tools and he knew that by his taunts the day after my dismissal. Just to move my tools cost $75, not including the storage fees that apply. In total it came up to $235 which I did not have, and could not get without pawning tools, which I did.
3)The tools were there about a month or so, I'm not sure. I know as the owner he could set my tools outside off the property, but to move them all together to storage lot and hand me the bill. I think it could have been dealt with a more mature way.
4) I'm not sure what "discussed about tools" means. I don't know what to say about that.

With that I hope I answered your questions, believe me when I say I think I'm going to get the shaft on this but, if managers and employers treat there major asset (us AT WILL employees) like this then a pattern emerges and then expands. All places that I've been to seem to treat a trained technician with experience and truly a gift for what he "does" like crap is a problem. To scream at him because of two drops of water that was left on a floor of a customer's car who was rushing him to get an impossible job done in an impossible amount of time is unreal because it is unreal.Have you ever seen what it's like to take apart the interior of a 2004 accord with plastic tools and wrong directions from the manufacturer! When an employee sticks his neck out to break the rules to make his boss look good it's a godsend, but when your boss steels from people and you know about it, you can not go to the cops and say he is a thief Why! Because I'll lose my job, but he can fire me for no reason other than I know he's a crook and laugh at me while he does it dangling my tools,which are worth alot of money and the sole source of income for me right now, if he dangles them over me like a dog trying to get a treat. Well I have a right to get mad. And if I have to listen a crook call me not worthy to work in his shop, I have the right as an american to speak my mind but not as an AT WILL employee. This is the meaning of oppression in the modern USA. Please forgive my ramble, I have issues and I know that I will never win over my peers but I'm not asking for that, just to be treated fair, isn't that why we started making laws for in the first place? I guess not :confused:

Last edited:

JETX

Clearly, you are too emotionally involved in this to be able to step back and look at it from an 'outsiders' view (as in myself and potentially a court).

First, you haven't answered ANY of my questions... your response only continued to present your emotions.

So, lets try this one more time (and with another question or two):

1) Why were your tools in someone elses location?
Okay, we got it that they were at your employers location... but why did you NOT get them when you left??

2) What efforts did you make to recover the tools?
Still waiting.

3) How long were the tools there (after you left their employ)?

4) What, if anything, was discussed by EITHER party as to the tools (ownership, responsibility, care-and custody, recovery, etc.)?

Eliminate all the personal crap from your issue.... and stick with the FACTS.

S

SONIKFEER

Your right I'll try again

1)I can't walk out with my tool box. it weights about 2700 hundred pounds. That why the cost of moving them is $75. I have to use a Rollback to move my tools and side cart. Should I have walked out with everthing I could have fit in my car? I guess I should have right?

2)I really haven't had chance to make an effort to. without a place to put them theres not much point, but I do see your point. I'm am a bit emotional. Sorry

3)I do believe I answered that one. I said about a month or so. I can not be certain because I do not know the day the tools were moved. he sent a letter that was signed by someone else to my address and I opened three days later. Yes it was sent certified mail, if that's what your were going to ask.

4)When I last talked to him about this I clearly stated that I had no place to move them too and that when I get a job I will move them. At that time I thought it would only be a week. But with him telling everyone one of my potential jobs that I don't work well with others was not all that helpfull. Even at other jobs they knew who he was and how he acts, which was a suprise to me. Yes I know irrelevent.

Well I hope this was more informative JETX

Thank You, really. I feel a bit set back but more up to finding out what's my problem

PS; the last story about the Accord was another job proir to this one, but this job was even more emotional ;)

Last edited:

JETX

Okay... and now the fun part.... what EXACTLY did the letter say as to your tools??

Aw, hell..... lets just cut to the chase.... your subject line asks "Tool Storage Fees? Who should pay??". If that is where you are eventually going to get to, the answer is clear. YOU PAY!! After all, they are YOUR tools. If you don't want to have to pay anymore, then make arrangements to get them. And if you don't, the shopowner MAY be able (depends on the letter) to claim that they are abandoned and then sell them.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This was fun, JetX!

I love it when you play "20 Questions". It's fun to watch you pull teeth to get answers!

There are so many more questions, but I got tired just reading through all of this, well, for lack of a better word, situation.

IAAL

S

SONIKFEER

For the most part this will most likely conclude this thread but to make a complete attempt to recieve all the info I can I will give the info in the letter as it was written to me :confused:

This is to inform you that your abandoned personal property must
be removed from (I will leave the Name and address out)MD 21061 within
48 hours of receipt of this letter.

Failure to do so will result in all of those items being moved to a
temporary storage facility. You will be responsible for all of the moving
and storage costs incurred up to the time that you pay those costs and
retrieve your property.

We will not be responsible for any damage to said belongings
either during moving or while being stored. We will also not be help
responsible for fire, theft or any other calamity which might occur while
those items are stored.

Time is of the essence. No delays will be granted.

Sincerely,

#### #####(MGR)
###### #### ######
#### ####### ########
Glen Burnie, Md

Well that's it in it's entirty. I still believe something in this situation can show
some kind of wrong doing. I did not abandon my tools and did go there from time to time to check on my tools. I was just told that I may be eligeble for some kind of Public Assistance, but it's too late now. If someone feels that I may have been treated unfairly please leave a reply, I'm currently reponding to every question as soon as I can. Within 12hrs. Thanks.

M

Meursault

My opinion is you had better fork over the money or lose your tools. But then, opinions are like Republicans. They procreate unchecked and are worthless :D

So I'll let Jet have this one. :eek:

S

SONIKFEER

I would like to offer a somewhat change to the status of this thread and I feel that I might have a different angle to what is going on with this guy and I.

I recently went back to my previous employer and wished to have my car inspected. It's being givened to me by my parents and I wanted to have a friend of mine who still works there if he could do it for me? My friend said he could and that I should get a ticket made. The place was not busy. i walked in and asked about this and my former boss said I should get it done somewhere else. He flat refused my request. Now this is a bit weird. Also taken the advise given,I inquired how much and if the payment can be made with a credit card belonging to my mom on my tools, he said no that it had to be cash! This made believe more that "he" not the "company" moved my tools. What rights does he have over the property he works at? The property is not in his name. This makes me feel that he is acting malicious towards me. What do you think?

Beth3

What rights does he have over the property he works at? He has as many rights as more senior management cares to bestow upon him, and that likely includes full responsiblity for the care and maintenance of the property and the contents therein. He can also refuse to accept you as a customer, nor does he have to accept payment on a credit card.

Look - collect your tools immediately unless you want to pay storage and take your car somewhere else for service. Or have your friend do it as a side-job at some other location.

S

SONIKFEER

Thanks BETH3, can I ask for a receipt for my tools when I get them? I can try to claim that as expenses on my taxes. Thanks again to all.

Beth3

A receipt for YOUR tools? Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. Do you mean a recept for payment of any storage fees? Yes, you may ask for that.

JETX

Of course you can ask for a receipt. And of course, they have no obligation to provide one.
And of course you can try to claim these costs on your taxes. And of course the IRS has the right to say, 'HUH?? What the hell are you doing?" and deny your 'deduction'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">