• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totally puzzled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Prahs

I have been office manager in Atlanta, GA for over 10 years.
In August my boss told me he was concerned I have "near memory loss" and suggested I see a Neurologist. He asked me what was wrong and I said I was very angry at him for treating me in a demeaning manner and I wanted him to stop. The Neurologist told me he'd hire me any day and sent my boss a report stating I had nothing wrong other than "depression and stress."

Two months later I intercepted a fax handwritten by my boss stating "apparently my staff has Alzheimers because she didn't give me your business card to thank you for dinner."
Neither I or my assistant ever saw the card, so I again asked him to stop demeaning me and did he want me to quit for some reason.

He replied that with my near-memory loss he realized it would take a rather long time to find anything but that he would keep me on until I found another job.

Last week he told me he had given me several weeks to find another job and judging from the calls he had received, I had surely by now been offered a better job than I had with him, so he wants me to leave before the end of December!
I have had 1 offer for a job I'd have to drive 45 min. one way to get to and I turned it down.

Do I have any rights? He has offered no severance pay or any kind of retirement benefit.

B

buddy2bear

Oh my goodness, we seem to be almost in the same boat -- memory loss, depression and stress -- except for the fact that I am trying to get away from my boss -- sounds like you work for a lawyer too! LOL. Unfortunately, unless you are a member of a union, you have absolutely no protection and are at-will. The only kind of "protection," you would have is if he is sexually harassing you or discriminating against you based on Title VII (for what that's worth). To me, it looks as if you are either making more money than he wants to continue paying you, he has grown tired of you and wants to replace you, or he has someone else in mind for your job. Either way, why stay? He doesn't have to offer severance. As for retirement pay -- you don't have a retirement benefit now? I would suggest that the next job you take, you pick one that has some kind of retirement plan. They say that women are among the lowest income when they retire and that is because up until approximately 15 years ago, women were just not offered retirement plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">