• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic accident after working more than "shift-and-a-half"

• Thread starter Burned Out in Cleveland
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Burned Out in Cleveland

I am a software developer in Cleveland, Ohio. After working for more than one and a half of our company's standard shifts (so I totalled over 12 hours) today, I was involved in a minor traffic accident during my commute home. The accident was caused by a sudden extreme pain in the muscles in my eyes; I had been using the computer heavily for almost all of my workday. I have heard that in some states (Illinois for example), if an employee works more than "shift-and-a-half", the employer can be liable for anything that happens during the employee's trip home. Does this also apply in Ohio? If so, what laws should I be looking to reference if I need to bring this up to my employer? Any advice is welcome, thanks.

H

hannah jo

You can begin by checking with your state's department of labor - or with an attorney who practices Employment Law. There will, of course, be a burden on you to relate the accident to the 12 hour shift even if there is statutory protection as you claim.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">