• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Training Contracts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superhawkmike

I recently took a job in South Dakota that leaves me 2000 miles away from my family in CA. I am having problems with my family right now that could possibly destroy my family, so I need to get back home and take care of things. When I was hired at the company, I was required to sign a training contract. In my profession, there are certian things that have to be done in order for me to do my job per the regulations we are governed under. I am a pilot, and each airplane requires specific training to be able to operate it. The contract is for $8500. Are training contracts like this legally enforceable in SD? I know they aren't in California, but I know nothing about the state of South Dakota, where the company is based. If you know what I can do, I would really appreciate it if you could either post some links up for me to look at. I am also planning on contacting an employment attourney in SD to see what I can do about this. Thanks in advance.

swalsh411

Slavery has been outlawed. Your employer cannot force you to stay nor will any Court. You may however be liable to return some of your pay depending on the agreement you signed, for example a sign-on bonus. To start with, are you an employee or an independent contractor?

Betty

You noted you are planning on contacting an attorney in SD. I believe that is your best bet - contact an employment or contract attorney in SD who can read the complete contract & give you his/her opinion. He/she should have some idea of how courts in the area handle such contracts regarding their enforceability.

superhawkmike

Slavery has been outlawed. Your employer cannot force you to stay nor will any Court. You may however be liable to return some of your pay depending on the agreement you signed, for example a sign-on bonus. To start with, are you an employee or an independent contractor?
I am an employee. No sign on bonus either. The thing I am worried about is getting an attourney, fighting this in court and loosing. Then being liable for the attourney fees and the contract.

superhawkmike

You noted you are planning on contacting an attorney in SD. I believe that is your best bet - contact an employment or contract attorney in SD who can read the complete contract & give you his/her opinion. He/she should have some idea of how courts in the area handle such contracts regarding their enforceability.
Thats the plan. One reason why I am up today at 7am.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">