• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Training people from out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathy Froman

What is the name of your state?Ohio My company is in OH. They are relocating to TN. We have been notified that we are losing our jobs begining Oct, 03 and they will be phased out completly by Mar, 04. They have brought in people from TN and want us to train them on our machines. My question is "Do I have to train someone to take my job.?" If I don't and I get fired, can I still get unemployment? Also they are working us 10-12 hrs a day and 8 hrs on Sat. to build up inventory. Can I refuse to work the overtime? If I get fired because I refuse to work over time can I still get unemployment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Refusing to train your replacement in the circumstances you describe could be considered insubordination, which is a valid reason for immediate termination.

If you are terminated under those circumstances, whether you get unemployment or not would be up to your state law. In my state the answer would be no.

Refusing overtime could also be considered insubordination and the same answer applies with regards to unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">