• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transgender Disrimination in Pa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jessica2u

Hello! I am a 21-Year old Transgendered M2F, seeking advice on a situation that occurred on the 30th of October of 2000. I worked for a Temporary Employment agency called Spherion. About a week prior to my being fired on the 30th of October, It came to their attention, that I was indeed transgendered. Along with the revelation of these facts, I was also very ill. I was taken from work in an Ambulance to the hospital. Tests the next day, the Doctor's suspected that either I had an Ulcer, or Stomach Cancer, but more tests were required before they could effectively treat the problem. I was given a written excuse from the Doctor, which I Personally Hand carried to my Employer, Spherion. (I still have the original copy) I then proceeded to schedule the other tests that the doctor had insisted I have. This occurred on the 24th of October. I hadn't had contact with my employer, the rest of the week, and as Monday the 30th came by, and I prepared to go back to work. Even though, I still not had not completed all the tests, the doctor felt that I was able to go back to work, and I was ready too. My Employer called me the morning of the 30th of October, and told me that Their Client (Springs Window Fashions) had not wanted me to return, and that my services with them (Spherion) Were no longer needed. I consulted with various attorney's regarding all of this, and I was repeatedly told that under Pennsylvania Law, Transgenderism/Transsexualism/Cross Dressing/Transvestitism/Gay/Lesbian & Bisexual behavior was not considered a basis for discrimination in regards to employment. I also consulted various Psychologists’ in the general area, and they told me that Transgenderism/Transsexualism is considered a mental Disability, and that I should be able to legally pursue that as a window for compensation against my former employer. I live in a very conservative part of Pennsylvania, so the chances of me being able to receive legal help in this area, are going to be very hard. I was wondering what options I have available, and what avenues I can pursue in this matter. Thank You for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">