• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel advance and reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waldenway

Texas

I live in Texas but work as a field technician for a Chicago firm. I was given a travel advance when I was hired, but recently a new VP revoked the advance. My beef is that reimbursement is not always timely and I feel like I am financing the company for free for the weeks that they take in approving and reimbursing my expense reports.

Is there any legal time limit for the employer to reimburse employee and is it right for my company to remove the advance since it was stated in my employment contract that I receive such an advance?

Beth3

"Is there any legal time limit for the employer to reimburse employee" No. They aren't required to pay for your business expenses in the first place. It's entirely a matter of company policy.

"and is it right for my company to remove the advance since it was stated in my employment contract that I receive such an advance?" It's legal, although it may be a violation of your contract IF there is a bonafide employment contract in place. Odds are that what you're referring to an offer letter, rather than a contract. If you want to know for certain, you'll have to show the document to a local attorney.

By the way, many if not most companies work on a reimbursement basis for expenses rather than advances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">