• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trucking company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friggette

What is the name of your state?MO

Hello Im just needing some advice to see if I have a case here. I am a truck driver. I was out on the road and started having medical problems. I talked to my dispatcher about getting into see a doctor soon because I was having symptoms of colon cancer. He said no problem. A week later still nothing. So I talked to my wife and she contacted my family doctor about the symptoms and told her that I needed to get in right away and they sent a letter stating this to my employer. On my way home I ended up getting into a minor accident which will be my 3rd one within 90 days which is in my handbook that can be reason for terminated. But a week later I still didnt hear anything about it so I thought they werent going to fire me for that. I get home for my doc appt finally and had CT scan done and they found an unindified mass on my colon and wants to get a colonoscopy done the following week. I let my company that I worked for know what was going on. It was over the weekend. I called the benefits department thru my employer to have my wifes name changed on the card cuz they mispelled it and they said I was terminated as of the Thursday of the week before. On my last checkstub my insurance premiums were paid for so I should have insurance coverage for the whole week since we get paid weekly. I just recently got a statement for my insurance that they didnt pay for any of my testing. Plus they havent offered Cobra insurance to me yet and it has been about 34 days since I was terminated. Is this discrimination?? Or how long do they have by law to offer Cobra insurance?? Sorry this was so long but only way to explain my whole story. Thank you for any advice.

Beth3

Is this discrimination?? Not if they terminated you for having your third accident within 90 days. I can't speak to standards in the trucking industry per se but I can tell you that I've always worked for manufacturing companies who have had their own semi's and drivers and we would have terminated a driver with that kind of record.

Or how long do they have by law to offer Cobra insurance?? If they're administering COBRA themselves, they have 44 days from the day your insurance ended to get the COBRA notification to you. You can always call your benefits department and ask when you can expect it.

friggette

We just feel that its descrimination possibly because they waited a week and half after my 3rd accident before they fired me and it just happened when they found out my testing that was being done. Thank you for advice Beth.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With three accidents in 90 days you'll never prove discrimination.

Besides, what you describe falls a great deal short of a disability that would be protected under the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">