• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to force resignation due to disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raahsiews3731

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello,

I am currently employed but suffer from a back problem which has plagued me for the last 4 years. I am 42 years old and do not want to go on disability if I can avoid it. I am a systems analyst for a company which appears to by trying to force my resignation by overtasking me given my condition. I have worked 60-90 hour weeks almost non-stop for two years. The act of getting up in the morning, getting ready, and driving into work takes me 3 hours due the the lengths I have to go through to try and get the spasms in my back to calm enough that I can drive and function at work. I believe that it is the intention of my employeer to force me to resign by placing ever increasing demands on me. I am contemplating filing for disability insurance benefits as a result. But I need to know what my legal rights and protections are regarding my job. I have done the job of two people for two years, and fulfilled my duties for the entire 4 years of going through this problem except when in the hospital. I have not had to take more time off than allowed through sick days, personal days, and vacation. My performance ratings are consistently high, yet the workload is not reasonable for a healthy individual much less someone who suffers from non-stop back spasms and has for four years. I have no idea what sort of protection I have available to me, but need to find out as this is pushing me over the edge of what I can stand.

raahsiews3731 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello,

I am currently employed but suffer from a back problem which has plagued me for the last 4 years. I am 42 years old and do not want to go on disability if I can avoid it. I am a systems analyst for a company which appears to by trying to force my resignation by overtasking me given my condition. I have worked 60-90 hour weeks almost non-stop for two years. The act of getting up in the morning, getting ready, and driving into work takes me 3 hours due the the lengths I have to go through to try and get the spasms in my back to calm enough that I can drive and function at work. I believe that it is the intention of my employeer to force me to resign by placing ever increasing demands on me. I am contemplating filing for disability insurance benefits as a result. But I need to know what my legal rights and protections are regarding my job. I have done the job of two people for two years, and fulfilled my duties for the entire 4 years of going through this problem except when in the hospital. I have not had to take more time off than allowed through sick days, personal days, and vacation. My performance ratings are consistently high, yet the workload is not reasonable for a healthy individual much less someone who suffers from non-stop back spasms and has for four years. I have no idea what sort of protection I have available to me, but need to find out as this is pushing me over the edge of what I can stand.
It sounds to me like your employer is a vindictive rube. I've had the same thing done to me before I was fired from my job at the local JC Penney.

Beth3

I have worked 60-90 hour weeks almost non-stop for two years. Are you the only systems analyst? If not, what kind of hours are the other SA's working? If they're working less hours than you, are you on a special project or in a unique role and your peers have different, less demanding responsibilities? When you have discussed your work demands with your boss, what has he or she said?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">