• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to get unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathyhdc90

Hi I live in utah
I was fired on friday the 21st of january for job performance I signed up for unemployment will I get it or will I have to fight for it the reason I ask is when I was written up for job performance he used different reasons all came because their was no communication with myself and employer I was afraid to confront him or even to talk to him because he talked down to me or ignored me How do I get unemployment if he fights me on it thank you kathy hogoboom

pattytx

I wouldn't worry about this yet. The state decides whether you are entitled to UI benefits. If the employer does not contest your claim, you will be in pretty good shape. In most cases, unless the reason for letting you go rises to the level of "gross misconduct", UI benefits are most often granted. And perceived, or even documented, poor performance is, in and of itself, not gross misconduct.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Also, don't panic if you don't hear right away. In my state you're lucky if you get so much as an acknowledgement within two weeks, and it can easily be four weeks before you get your first check, even if your employer doesn't contest and the entire process goes as smooth as glass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">