• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turned down after Hired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio. Clermont County.

I applied for a job at the local Wal-Mart. I went through the process with the night manager (whom I would be working under and who does the hiring for 3rd shift.) After the full 45 minutes of talking and bull shooting about the job and what I would have to do he gave me a schedule and told me whwn I would be comming in and who would be training me. I noticed he had not looked at my appication other than to get my name it seemed. I offered to him that he may want to check it as I do have a felony and I am always up front about it with any employer. I figure better to tell them to to let them find out on thier own. Well he takes me to a little cubicle has me fill out a consent form to do a background check. I then wait three days as he told me he would have to check with his "hiring lady" (no name given). When I call back he is always busy. I tried to contact him three times by phone. I then went to the store and used my wifes cellular phone to call the store and have him paged. I was looking directly at him as he was talking to the lady who was talking to me on the phone. He shook his head no when she said my name and she of course said he was not available to talk.
I then walked over to him and he started to walk away when he spotted me. I called out to him and asked if he wanted me to make a scene. He stopped and talked to me. And said that 'they had found a better cadidate for the job". I asked him if it was my felony (as that is the only thing it could be) and he said "I cant say yes or no to that".

I told him I thought it was despicable and left the store. We did not argue or have any other confrontation. This would all be fine ecept for one line on the application.

"we will not base our decision solely on the basis of a felony."
It is obvious that this decision was based solely on me having a felony he failed to see before the interveiw. I would think my being honest and open about it would have at least gained me the respect of telling me on the phone that I did not have the job. I know he felt bad because he could not look me in the eye when talking to me.

I know this sounds petty but I had the job and it has absolutly nothing to do with my felony. It was a night job cleaning andwaxing the floors at the local wal-mart.

Any opinions on this?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. My opinion is that no employer owes you a job. They are free to turn down your application for any reason they choose not prohibited by law, and in Ohio the law does NOT forbid them from using a felony conviction against you in the hiring process.

You have no possible way of knowing that felony was the SOLE reason. Your opinion that it was, does not carry any weight even if it were illegal, which it is not.

Move on.

Ok that is understood and I have moved on. My opinion that the reason I was turned down was based solely on my conviction was that I had the job and was slated to start the next night. He had filed the paperwork and everything was go. the only thing that changed was that I let him know he had overlooked the felony on the application which I did truthfully fill out. So no I do not feel they owe me the job and since this has happened the manager and I have talked outside of the store and he admitted that he was told to refuse me because of the felony. Now it would seem that even though the state des not have a law regarding this issue if an application clearly states that I will not be turned down solely for that reason then I should not have been turned down solely for that reason. I am not looking to sue I would just like to know what others think of this particular situation. I do feel I was wronged bt feel that I would not have been happy with being a cleaning boy there as the case may be. Though I am by far not below working hard to get my paycheck I prefer to use my mind to its full potential and not on how glossy I can get a floor.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sometimes life isn't fair. It doesn't matter how many people agree you were treated badly; that doesn't change a thing. They didn't break any laws.

Ok. Thank you for the answer. I wasnt sure if it was on the line or not because of the line in the application I highlighted in the first post. Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">