• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turning in Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcmealer

What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm planning on quiting my job and know that only two weeks notice is required. However, because of the work I do I was going to give them up to six weeks notice. What happens if after I give notice (6 weeks), my employer tells me that I should go ahead and leave before my resignation date? Do they owe me compensation through my resignation date?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jcmealer said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm planning on quiting my job and know that only two weeks notice is required.

MY RESPONSE: Required? Where did you get that tid-bit of information?

However, because of the work I do I was going to give them up to six weeks notice. What happens if after I give notice (6 weeks), my employer tells me that I should go ahead and leave before my resignation date?

MY RESPONSE: Your employer can. Texas is an "at-will" employment State. That means, "at the will" of your employer, you can be ushered out the door on a moment's notice.

Do they owe me compensation through my resignation date?

MY RESPONSE: Nope. Only for actual time worked. So, if you're asked to leave after the fourth week, then that's "all she wrote".

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As far as the LAW goes, you are not required to give any notice at all. Whether your employer requires it, or how much you choose to give, is strictly between the two of you.

However, barring a valid contract that specifically says otherwise, there are no circumstances whatsoever in which your employer is required to pay you for any time after the last day you actually work. While some employers will voluntarily pay out any notice period, they are not compelled by any law in any state to do so.

In some states, if you give notice and your employer accepts your resignation immediately, you can be eligible for unemployment for the notice period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">