• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two week notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rani

I work in the state of Colorado as an electrical engineer for a consulting firm based in North Carolina. I recently gave my two-week notice. On the second day of the second week of that two-week time period, my boss call and left me a voice mail stating she was "tired of all this fiddling around" and "effective immediately", I was no longer an employee of her firm. She also said she would not pay me for that second week even though I gave a written two-week notice. When I checked with the Federal Dept. of Labor, they said she is legally bound to pay me for both weeks but that I should check with the state of North Carolina. When I checked with N.C., they said she is not legally bound to pay me since I wasn't doing any work for the firm at that time (I thought I was still on their payroll and was continuing to support my customers. I work from my home office and was expecting to receive work from her during this two-week time period.) Then I was told that since I live, work, and pay taxes to the state of Colorado, I fall under the labor laws of my home state. Who's right? Is she required to pay me for the full two week period or not? Any light you could shed on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

She is definitely supposed to pay you for the first week and the two days of the second week, because we have determined you had worked those days.

Question remains as to your last three days. Did you still work those last three days? Or are you asking whether you are entitled to payment, regardless of working or not?

Since you maintained working in Colorado (who cares where your employer is located), then you SHOULD BE UNDER COLORADO LAW. It also matters if Colorado is an at will state because you can fired for no reason at any time.

Check article 4 of the following Colorado code:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/inetcrs.nsf/revstat?OpenView&Start=8.283&Count=30&Expand=8#8

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">