• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two Weeks Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scouting Bear

What is the name of your state? California

My wife gave her two weeks notice on Friday. The company let her go on the same day without paying her for the two weeks. I am surprised that this is legal according to some posts I have seen in your pages.

If this is legal, why would anyone give notice? Does this not put employers at risk for loosing valuable information if an employee is affraid of being let go too early?

HomeGuru

Scouting Bear said:
What is the name of your state? California

My wife gave her two weeks notice on Friday. The company let her go on the same day without paying her for the two weeks. I am surprised that this is legal according to some posts I have seen in your pages.

If this is legal, why would anyone give notice?

**A: out of courtesy and maybe they think it is the law or the employer's regulation to do so.

Does this not put employers at risk for loosing valuable information if an employee is affraid of being let go too early?

**A: possibly but do employers really care. Look at what happened to your wife.

Beth3

"If this is legal, why would anyone give notice?" As a courtesy and in order to leave one's place of employment on good terms. The great majority of the time, employees who have given notice are allowed to work out their notice period.

"Does this not put employers at risk for loosing valuable information if an employee is affraid of being let go too early?" Sure but if that's the case, it's the employer's problem to deal with.

If the law mandated that employers were obligated to pay out an employee's notice period, we'd all give 20 years notice and hope to be released immediately.

S

Scouting Bear

Thanks all for the input everyone. Guess I still try and live in a world where employers treated employees fairly and visa versa. I guess it is OK for fire someone without just cause.

Live was never fair before but looks like the gap is expanding.

I am going to make sure that I find a way to get this out to all I know.

NO NOTICE!!!!!! should be everyone's policy.....

HomeGuru

Scouting Bear said:
Thanks all for the input everyone. Guess I still try and live in a world where employers treated employees fairly and visa versa.

**A: it's vice, not visa. Visa is what you use to buy stuff when you are out of a job.

Beth3

Scouting, equating one unhappy experience to all employers treating employees unfairly seems extreme. Perhaps there was a valid reason why they let your wife go right away - was she leaving in order to work for a competitor? was there a budget crunch on? did her leaving right away mean that they wouldn't have to lay somebody else off? had she been a "problem employee" in some regard or did the employer have reason to believe she might cause difficulty during her last two weeks?

Yes, it's possible they walked her to the door on a whim and sometimes the boss just gets personally pissed when someone resigns - it happens. But as I said, in the great majority of instances, a departing employee is allowed to work out their notice period.

There are no laws that obligate any employee to give advance notice of their leaving but failing to do so can have career consequences. Future employers will be relucant to hire someone who has left prior positions simply by resigning on the spot and walking off the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">